M71 serialized accessories

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:23 pm
In the late 1990's I was tending a couple tables at a gun show in Hamilton Montana when an elderly gentleman came in carrying a Model 71, nice rifle used but well cared for. He said he bought it new when it first came into a shop in town, he wasn't sure if it was late '36 or '37. He wanted to sell it, as no one in his family wanted guns. The thing that perked everyones interest was the Winchester Model 71 Cartridge belt that was serialized to the gun, even had the same barrel markings stamped into the belt along with the same serial number. This was the only one I've ever seen and I had never heard about the cartridge belts, a couple of other old timers were there and they said they were aware of the belts but had never seen one with the gun.

Anyone here have any idea or documentation on this rarity? A published reference, maybe?

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:40 pm
Nobody know nuttin'?

Vendor
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:43 pm
Can't say they don't exist but I've got a pretty extensive Winchester library and also reams of factory data and no mention of it anywhere.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:32 pm
Supposedly there were only a few, the first hundred or so. I know it was a revelation to those of us that saw it.
Thanks

Return to Winchester Model 71