Need a Portable Shooting Bench and Gun Rack?

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:26 am
I needed 2 benches, one for me and one for my son, that I could fold to take in the truck so I made these. I started with a set of 28" Rugged Buddy legs and used their shooting bench idea with a bit of tweaking.

They fold up really well and with the shorter 28" versions they take up a lot less room in the truck. I just use a stool rather than a chair to sit on (again, it's smaller and takes up less room). Each one cost me under $75 and they are first class.

I also made a set of adjustable front rests too. I just slip on as many spacers as I want and am good to go. I had everything but the leather rest so I've got about $9 in each of them.

They work well when we go out in the plains for some longer range shooting.

I've had them for years and they are solid and work great.

BTW: I also made the gun rack. It also folds flat to everything fits in the truck. I had the scrap wood, hardware, stain, and even the felt and glue. The only thing I bought was the brass chain so I've got like $2.80 in it.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:13 pm
Very nice. Where did you get the legs?

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:09 am
I got them on Amazon a number of years ago, however, they are ripping you off on Amazon with a price of over $100 when the manufacturer will sell them to you for $60 + shipping so I'd go somewhere else. Google 'Rugged Buddy' and go to their website at "http://www.ruggedbuddy.com/". I use the 28" legs as I want a more compact setup. If you want to use a standard height chair, use the 34" set.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:49 pm
I did get a set on Amazon for 113.00 and you're right, others were selling them for 200.00 plus. I got the 28" also. The 34" would put me a 35" total and that wouldn't be comfortable. I like to use a lead sled to avoid developing a flinch so I think the 28 will be perfect. Thanks for posting this, I've bought a couple of shooting benches but they never worked out. Most of the time I'm in my Jeep and out in the desert so space is at a premium. The others were either too big or two heavy. You're design looks perfect. I might add a couple of hangers to it so I can hang a couple of 25lb bags of shot off it to add stability.

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:32 pm
sschefer wrote:I might add a couple of hangers to it so I can hang a couple of 25lb bags of shot off it to add stability.

My son and I use them 'as is' to shoot longer ranges (400yds) so they actually are pretty stable as they are. We use them out on the prairie to shoot at medium sized steel targets (12") with our iron sighted M1 Garands and M1A at 400yds so the bench has got to be solid.

In fact, we also use them as they are to shoot at red apples, also at 400yds, which is a bit masochistic on our part but a ton of fun. The picture above where we're setup on the prairie is just for that purpose and my son and his friend were down range setting up a bag full of apples to have a go at.

Apples are great as targets because when you hit one, even with a 68grn .224 cal bullet at 400yds, it just disappears so you know you hit it. However, without a 12x or 16x scope, I can't even see them from the bench. Further, they are bio-degradable and food for small animals so you don't have to go back down range to pick them up when you're done.

I have thought of adding some small hooks on the side for a canvas bag or two to hold extras like additional mags, spent brass, paper, pencils, whatever, but as of yet I haven't gotten around to deciding what I want.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:12 pm
I do the cabbage and apple thing too. I was shooting plastic bottles filled with colored water but it got to be a pain picking them all up. The wild horses take care of the cleanup now.

Regarding the added weight, good to know they're that stable. I usually throw 50 lbs on the lead sled when I'm shooting the 30-06 the 7mm Weatherby Mag or the .300 WSM. The .308 is pretty soft compared to those so I don't use the sled except when I'm sighting it in. That lets me know if it's me or the rifle that can't shoot straight. It's always me by the way.. LOL.

Return to Winchester Model 88