Sage advice?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:10 pm
Looking for some advice. Inherited a model 1890 (see attached). Hasn't been fired in ages. Father in law kept it store among flannel shirts in a closet. Serial number (166xxx) states it to be in the 1903-04 production era (does that compute?). Its a nice little gun, just trying to decide whether its better to keep it?
I have seen postings for as much as 3K, but not sure this model is at that level?
thoughts?
Attachments
posting.jpg
posting.jpg (88.34 KiB) Viewed 4592 times

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:34 pm
Hi,
Your rifle is a model 1890 2nd model. According to the book, serial number 166xxx was made in mid year 1903. Early 2nd models up to serial number 111948 had a case hardened receiver, trigger, guard and hammer and were "case colored". On June 22, 1901, winchester decided to blue it's receiver, guard and trigger instead of case coloring. This was a cost savings measure. Original case colored 2nd models are quite rare and very nice ones command a high price.
Yours is a later 2nd model and left the factory with a blued receiver. Your rifle appears to have the 30B short base rear sight which is correct for the rifle. It probably has a patent date of Jan 29,1901 on the sight although not all were marked. It's impossible to determine the value without examining the gun and the picture is of poor quality.
The gun looks complete although I can't see the front sight. It appears to have lost all its blue. I can't tell what the stock and forearm look like. All things being equal, first models are the rarest and command the highest prices. Second models are higher than 3rd models. The rarity of a model in my opinion certainly is a huge consideration in determining value but condition plays an even greater roll. An excellent condition 1890 in any model is truly a prized possession.
I would keep it unless it's a beater. It's not going anywhere but up in value. Don't refinish anything on it. Leave it alone. Collectors want original untouched guns. Hope that helps.
Wayne
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:03 pm
Good reply Wayne...Thanks !!

Return to Winchester Model 1890