Model 69 rear sight

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:27 am
I am new to this forum and am hoping to find an answer to a sight question. I recently acquired a model 69 (not 69A) and would like to determine if the open rear sight is the correct type that would have been installed by the factory. I have found in reading forums such as this that many of these rifles came from the factory with a 32B open sight with a 2C elevator. I have seen photos of the 32B on various websites like gunbroker.com and they are not as tall as the sight on my rifle. So does anyone know if Winchester used the 32B sight exclusively on the model 69 or did some rifles get shipped with the taller sight like mine has? If mine is incorrect I would like to try to find a correct replacement. Thanks for any info that anyone might have.

John
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:34 pm
Here's a scanned page from G. Madis "The Winchester Book" I hope this helps with your questions.
Attachments
model 69 post.jpg
model 69 post.jpg (197.4 KiB) Viewed 7198 times

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:40 pm
I appreciate your reply skinner-t. Very informative and I am aware of the Winchester Book. In fact I believe there is a Winchester sight book also. If I was a Winchester collector I would certainly purchase the book for its wealth of information. I have concluded from the scanned sheet that you sent me that the 32 series rear sight is correct for my rifle. I have previously seen references to both 32B and 32C rear sights on Winchesters. So now my new question is, what is the difference between the 32B and 32C? Could it be that the 32C is a taller version of the 32B? As I mentioned in my previous post the sight on my rifle is taller than the 32B sights I have seen, so is it possible that I have a 32C sight? If you might know the answer to that question I would appreciate hearing from you again, and if not I would like to thank you again for taking the time to look up the info and sending me the page that you did. I have printed it for future reference.
Incidentially, if you would care to go to Wikipedia and look up Winchester model 69 you will see two photos that look exactly like my rifle, 97A hooded ramp front sight and an open rear sight taller than a 32B.

John
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:01 pm
I had a model 67 for a few years, they are similar looking to the 69, the 67 was a single shot. I don't have the winchester sight book...., maybe someone could chime in here with some of that info to help you out..? Good luck with it..

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:18 pm
It seems that if Wikipedia shows photos that look just like my rifle, then maybe my sights are factory installed after all. I'm sure I'm making way too big a deal out of this anyway, but what else have I got to do, I'm retired. Thank you again and have good day!

Return to Winchester Model 69 & 697