Winchester 1873 Info Request

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:47 am
I have been on a quest to find out as much information as I can about a family heirloom. My father who was the youngest son in his family had the family rifle, an 1873 Winchester .32-20 . I researched this as much as I could in January and some of the details are a little fuzzy now but from the A-Gun Auction site and the serial number this model was made in 1902. It has been in this family's possession since my grandfather bought it in 1902 or shortly thereafter.

I would like as much information as I can obtain on it and have seen the Cody Firearms Museum Records request form to obtain a "Factory letter", for $70 or membership for $150. My question is: Is this a good idea? Or should I purchase a book on this rifle? Contact a local gun store for more info? All of the above? None of the above? I probably need to insure it - Is that advisable? I hesitate to involve outside people in this because of it's value but I want to know the proper thing to do.... Thank you for your site and I thank you for your time and patience with a novice. :)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:58 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum Hidy67 !!

If I owned my grandfathers Model 1873 from 1902...I would letter it...cherish it...and probably at least look at a few books on it ( library or Barnes & Nobles )...then pass it down to future generations of my family.

Return to Winchester Model 1873