New 1873 will not cycle cartridges

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:56 am
I need a little help. I loaded up the magazine of my new Model 1873 with .38 specials and they will not cycle through the eject and charge cycle. The finger lever is now open but the round is not presented in line with the bore, so I cannot close the breach with the finger lever. I have no way to remove the cartridge.
Suggestions?
Regards,
arlen
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps
.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:35 pm
I have figured the way to get the action to cycle: With the action open and downward pressure on the finger lever, I use a small screwdriver to push the round in the magazine queue back into the magazine tube. This allows the brass lifter to present the round in the lifter to battery.

Is my problem the overall length of the round not keeping the round in the magazine queue clear of the brass lifter? I am using Blazer Brass Ammunition .38 Special 125 grain FMJ.
Regards,
arlen
.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:30 pm
Well, after a little measuring, I found that my 38 special ammo (Blazer Brass) is 1.425" overall length. The OAL for 38 special should be 1.55" as far as I can find on Google (the last word on everything!). The OAL for 357 magnum is 1.59". So I have decided that OAL is my problem. When will I ever learn? I try to educate myself prior to my purchases, but there is so much to know and I am sorry learning material. I am the weak link.
Last edited by arlen on Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
arlen
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:31 pm
Not sure about Blazer Ammo's Ogive design and if it affects what your problem is...

Does it happen with any other brand of ammo...how about with a Blazer .357 cartridge...?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:32 pm
You posted exactly right before I just did...

Gotcha...

Lever Action tend to be more finicky about cartridge length...try other ammo ( brass ).
.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:34 pm
It is the only box of ammo that I have in 38 special. I was so eager to get out of my buddy's gun shop that I took the box that he suggested. I will snag another brand this afternoon and see what the results might be. But I highly suspect that OAL is my problem.
Regards,
arlen
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:44 pm
Copy that...
.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:45 pm
Well, I went and bought 357 magnums with an OAL of 1.55". The bullets cycle through the action with absolutely no problems. I can cycle the action slowly or any speed. Once again, science and technology has overcome silly fear and superstition. :shock:
Live and learn! :D
Regards,
arlen
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:28 am
Yes sir...my motto !!

Return to Winchester Model 1873