New to this rifle, could use some advice

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:18 am
Hi gang, I’ve always wanted a Winchester 1873 and I’m looking at a couple of options. Hoping somebody could weigh in… First off, I would like an original pre-1900 1873. I see several on GB now that look nice in the low $2000s and less. What are some of the obvious things I need to worry about aside from non original parts, cracked stocks, bad bore, etc.?

I would also like to get a new 1873 and my preference leans towards the Miroku Winchester with case coloring or the Navy Arms Winchester. I love the Turnbull CC on the Navy Arms piece but I’m a little disappointed that I can only find it in 357 – would have preferred 44-40. Sounds like the fit and finish of these are great. The Winchester gun seems to get good reviews, looks a bit more old-timey original, and I can get it in 44-40 as well as 20” and it’s cheaper. The down-side is the case coloring is the hot salt style, not as pleasing to my eye as the Turnbull CC. Not sure how the quality/fit-finish compare between the two. Thoughts?
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:21 am
Welcome...

As far as your question(s)...I will defer to the experts here.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:12 pm
Welcome aboard the forum!

Wish I could give ya some help on both the pre-1900 Model 1873 as well as the newer Miroko 1873's. The only thing I can advise you to do is go to the WACA, The Winchester Arms Collector's Association and do a search there on their forum and read up on them cause a pre-1900 Model 1873 unless in bad shape is gonna cost ya, and unfortunately there are fakes in these collectibles as well. Those folks at the WACA are well versed in the Model 1873's and just about anything pre-64 Winchester.

There are some here that might be able to chime in on these and the Miroku's as well. Wish I could help ya but I can't.
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:36 am
OK, most appreciated!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:21 pm
It depends on what you want out of it and your wallet. If you plan to be active in shooting it in Cowboy Action or organized events you probably ought to read about the custom stuff they do and which brands are most popular for the sport. Some versions may have things like rebounding hammers or tang safeties that are often cursed by event shooters.

If you were to buy an original barreled antique 1873 you could be limiting yourself to shooting black powder if you want to remain as safe as possible. Some argue that the 1873 was designed for BP and modern powders are prone to pressures that are not safe for that old metal. Also an original BP rifle may not have an accurate barrel due to BP having been shot in it and the damage it usually causes if left uncleaned.

Case coloring will fade in time before bluing would. Trumbull I'd say does it best. Some other case colorer's work look's down right ugly In my subjective opinion and I'd much rather have blued finish than an ugly one.

So if it were my decision to do all over again I would buy a new 1873 in a format I like and then send it off to Trumbull for re-finishing. Then I'd buy an Antique 1873 to shoot while I wait and save my funds to pay the balance for the Trumbull work in a year or so when its ready. When it returns I would sell the antique for a profit assuming things keep on the way they have been.

Return to Winchester Model 1873