Winchester 1873 and 1866 2018 Shot Show Deluxe Versions

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:53 pm
Just received my Winchester 1866 yesterday. It arrived after my 1873 even though I chose and secured the 1866 first. Tough decision but always in awe of the 1866 because of the brass so when it came to pull the trigger on one the 1866 just had to be first. Frankly the pictures for some reason reinforced that idea. However I have to say after receiving the 1873 in CCH my favorite has shifted.

So anyway, the Deluxe models are the ones I chose to go for mostly because of the better looking furniture. But here again the CCH and the combination of the shotgun butt plate also make the 1873 a real attractive option for me. In fact after seeing the 1873 becoming harder to find in the 2018 Shot Show configuration which gets you the IV\V Grade Walnut I decided I better get one before I no longer could.

I chose calibers for which I already have revolvers and that meant the 1866 in 38 and the 1873 in 357.

I was so impressed when I was outbid on a Marlin in 45LC I decided to get another 1873 with 24inch Octagon Barrel and Grade II\III Walnut.

Thanks to those here who answered all those stupid questions and helped me make this decision.

Winchester 1873 2018 Shot Show Deluxe Version.

Image[/QUOTE]

Winchester 1866 2018 Shot Show Deluxe Version

Small collection so far with Winchester 9422

20g
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:52 pm
You did good. Beautiful wood and metal.

I have been thinning my inventory over the past year. Need to get the idea of adding a new '73 out of my head.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:33 am
redryder wrote:You did good. Beautiful wood and metal.

I have been thinning my inventory over the past year. Need to get the idea of adding a new '73 out of my head.

Thank you sir. I haven't been doing this very long but I am starting to get old in the tooth and I'm just trying to get a few keepers before I go on a fixed income. I figured these two would be some fairly nice keepers.
20g
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:13 am
I purchased most of my weapons, guns, knives while employed along with paying off all properties including vehicles. Retiring with only everyday expenses. The IRA was a nice nest egg to start with when retiring.

When I covet new gun eye candy, will visit this forum.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:15 pm
redryder wrote:I purchased most of my weapons, guns, knives while employed along with paying off all properties including vehicles. Retiring with only everyday expenses. The IRA was a nice nest egg to start with when retiring.

When I covet new gun eye candy, will visit this forum.

No doubt, being debt free not only makes life easier it makes it extremely easier to have more fun.

For me it's been watches, knives, a few pens, and now guns. Since I've gotten older I've been revisting some of those things I enjoyed most in my life. I started as a teenager with a Daisy BB Lever Gun, not a Red Ryder but one with a better stock which I enjoyed firing every Sunday when visiting my old man. My parents where divoced when I was fairly young. I was then in the military for 20 years.

Anyway about three years ago I started out getting a few and now I have a small but fairly decent collection of a little over 20 guns with a good representation of handguns both Semi Auto, DA and SA Revolvers, and a few rifles. A good portion of which are 22, but also 9mm, and 357. The lower the caliber the easier on my old arthritic hands and besides 22 is a bit friendlier on the wallet. Nothing plastic is pretty much the rule of the day and metal and wood is more to my liking.

After making a few mistakes I'm now trying my best to focus on things that I can hopefully enjoy for the next couple of decades. God willing anyway. I think these last two fall very neatly into that box. Good quality, easy on the eyes, and something I've always enjoyed since I was a little kid growing up watching Westerns on both TV and in the Movies.

I think my biggest current hole now is good bolt gun for target practice. The Air Gun I have does this in the backyard but I think I want one for the range as well. Potentially there again a 22 but I'm not sure yet. Possibly a CZ but maybe even an Anschutz, but I've yet to do my homework. Besides I've currently been distracted with these pretty cool lever guns.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:48 pm
Beautiful rifles.Thanks for posting.

I believe the old western movies and tv shows is one reason so many of us older shooters like our Winchesters so much.:)

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:25 am
28 gauge wrote:Beautiful rifles.Thanks for posting.

I believe the old western movies and tv shows is one reason so many of us older shooters like our Winchesters so much.:)

Thank you sir. I would agree with that. Orcat least I always thought they were cool. That and I have really no desire for the plastic crap. Here again that's because when growing up I always thought plastic was cheap crap. Give me something in metal in wood. I"ll take that all day every day of the week.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:59 pm
dddrees wrote:

Thank you sir. I would agree with that. Orcat least I always thought they were cool. That and I have really no desire for the plastic crap. Here again that's because when growing up I always thought plastic was cheap crap. Give me something in metal in wood. I"ll take that all day every day of the week.

Yes I too remember when people thought of plastic as junk.Also a time when something was stamped Made in Japan, it was thought of as junk.Not like to day when Made in Japan is thought of as quality.especially in vehicles.Times change.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:28 am
28 gauge wrote:
dddrees wrote:

Yes I too remember when people thought of plastic as junk.Also a time when something was stamped Made in Japan, it was thought of as junk.Not like to day when Made in Japan is thought of as quality.especially in vehicles.Times change.

I agree, however I still think plastic is souless and crap. LOL
20g
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:02 am
Plastic has a place in products, but not in guns.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:19 pm
redryder wrote:Plastic has a place in products, but not in guns.

Agreed, but also not in watches and not in shoes.

Return to Winchester Model 1873