Two "new" to Me Books

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:53 pm
Just thought I'd pass along a mini review if you will of two "new" to me books I got as of late.

The first one is The Winchester model 61 by Key. Very well made book to say the least. Paper stock is nice and thick. Photos are clear & concise. Lots of info and data, and for $35 you can beat it. Same size and almost same color as any of the Maddis books.

Next if the Winchester Model 94 book by Renneberg, the first edition not the 2nd edition. Wow, what can one say it is exhaustive with information and data, pictures are clear & precise. Picked up a used but excellent condition copy, hardback off of Amazon for around $40! Well worth it if you are into Model 94's, and who doesn't like a Model 94??!!

Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:56 pm
I bet that '94 book holds your interest for many years to come! Hang on to it, it's a treasure. I have a very big book on U.S. Krags, bought it many years ago at a regular price, ($20. some odd dollars) but to buy it today would set one back in the $200+ neighborhood.

The Winchester Model 61, boy oh boy what I wouldn't have given as a kid to have had one of those for my stomping around .22! A friend had one, (actually his dad's) when we would load our pockets with .22 ammo and wander the farm usually ending up at the old dump to shoot the latest selection of cans and bottles. My old Mossberg 42B bolt action was poor pale comparison to that slick and quick Winchester.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:05 pm
Krag96 no doubt they will both be great reference books for many, many years!

I plan to obtain a nice Model 61 from 50's era, got my eye on one from 57 to be exact, with a grooved receiver. I think hammerless Winchester's are some of the classic looking firearms produced. The Model 12, Model 42, Model 61 and the Model 88 all hammerless, love them all!

Yes, I wish I had a Model 61 or 62 for that matter as a kid growing up! I have a 62A from 57 as well now, and other than the exposed hammer I love these 22's! I did grow up running around with an old 50's era Springfield semi-auto 22 with a detachable magazine. Great times.
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

Return to The Past, Present And Future Of Winchester