Come check out Winchester Arms Collectors Association

Administrator
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:15 pm
http://www.winchestercollector.org/
About
Winchester Arms Collectors Association (W.A.C.A.) is a non-profit tax-exempt corporation and an international organization comprised of over 2,200 members devoted to the preservation, understanding and collecting of Winchester firearms and related products as well as the role these products had throughout American history. W.A.C.A. was organized in July 1977, incorporated February 21, 1978, in the State of Montana and has been NRA affiliated (#G8143) since 1978.

FAQ
How can I tell when my Winchester was made?

This information is available from various sources including the Winchester Dates of Manufacture pocket book and the factory records at the Cody Firearms Museum. Not all Winchester records are readily available in that case further research from other sources may be required.

Does my Winchester have collector value?

All Winchesters, including commemoratives, are collectable.

What determines the value of my Winchester?

The attributes which determine a Winchester's value are originality, desirability, rarity, period of manufacture, historical significance and overall condition

How much is my Winchester worth?

When you have your Winchester appraised for insurance, estate purposes or if you may wish to sell the firearm, seek the advice of an experienced and knowledgeable Winchester collector or dealer who has no conflict of interest in providing such an appraisal (avoid "the fox guarding the hen house" situation). WACA members and member/dealers are always good place to start. All appraisals should be in writing on the appraiser's letterhead and based on a physical examination of the gun. Values are usually stated as a price range verses a specific amount. In reality, the value of any collectable firearm is determined by what someone is willing to pay for it and on the day it is sold.

Does my Winchester have any historical significance?

It is impossible to know the historical significance on the vast majority of Winchesters; however, there are some documented. Factory records on file at the Cody Firearms Museum generally do not list where the Winchester was shipped or to whom it was sold. This information is primarily found from other sources. An affidavit from a "John Doe" may not be the most reliable (or accepted) source when determining historical information and should be considered only as a first step in the research required. There are numerous books relating to collecting Winchesters offered at our online General Store.

Why is buying a Winchester a good investment?

While the stock market has its ups and downs, it is the opinion of most collectors that Winchesters seem only to increase in value. In addition to the pride of ownership factor, many collectors view their Winchester collections as their "401(k)".

What should I look for in buying a Winchester?

While there is no substitute for years of hands-on experience, valuable knowledge can be gained by reading books on Winchesters. The single most comprehensive book is The Winchester Book by George Madis, available at our online General Store. Other excellent, more specialized books are available as well. Experienced collectors own every book available on Winchesters.

Why should I Join WACA?

Education is the key to collecting success. In this regard, it would be reason enough to join WACA to receive our quarterly magazine alone; but there are many other member benefits.

Do you have questions not answered here?

Fill in the form on our contact page and we will try and have someone answer your question. This is a volunteer service and there is no gaurantee that we can respond, but if possible we will do some research and get back to you as soon as we can.

Return to The Past, Present And Future Of Winchester