Started reloading again

Anything and everything related to ammunition can be posted here.

Moderator: Ridgerunner665

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:35 pm
I was "off" for about two and a half years, following the death of my life long hunting partner and good time buddy. His death sucked the air out of me and my motivation for all things hunting, shooting, casting, and reloading with it. I was numb for a long-long time. I have thawed a little bit.

Saturday I dusted off the RCBS 4X4 semi-progressive press. Another Forum Member is sending me a set of new 4X4 shell holders from which I hope to fill in the "holes" and gaps in the calibers I load for which I do not have 4X4 shell holders.

I took it completely apart, cleaned, lubed it and put it back together. Then tried to size some brass on it as a single stage press. The first two 308 cases I crushed the necks into the case body and then had to press out the unused primers.

The 4X4 die set up does not function the same as the "cam over" Rock Chucker II. So I will have to spend a little more time with the 4X4 manual. I will get it working eventually...perhaps for 45 Colt and 30-30, although I have the Piggyback II for straight walled pistol bullets and 223 Remington rounds.

I went back to the Lee Classic Cast and made both 308 and 30-30 rounds for accurizing a Ruger American Predator in 308 and a pair of Marlin 336's in 30-30.

Now to find time - after I bush hog - for some hours at my West Road, a 300 yard "range"...well that and a new shooting bench has to be made, forgot about that. The old one has rotted from non-use, weather, and age.
If it was easy, anybody could do it.
20g
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:54 am
My sincere condolence for your close friend. I have lost 3 over the past 5 years.

Good to read you have closure and getting back to recreational therapy. I am sure your buddy would want you to carry on in his memory.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:21 pm
Thank you for your kind words and understanding. My spouse and I counted too (not a good plan)...10 in these last 2.5 years, her son four months ago at age 35 to opioids, my younger brother one month ago at age 55 to opioids, her ex-MIL last year with whom she had to deal in the last month for her ex- who was not dealing with the effort well (we are all friends), my hunting partner, multiple very close friends at church, our beloved dog and cat to Chinese poisoned food (Blue Buffalo - DO NOT FEED THIS TO YOUR PETS. It is POISON.) .

So much has backed up in the past 2.5 years. Bush hogging, food plotting, shooting bench must be reconstructed, tree stands to maintain, repair, and replace, 20-blade disk to be repaired, Safe Queens to accurize or sell, and ammunition to manufacture. At least the mechanical equipment is in good working order...golf cart, tractor, PU truck, multiple trailers.

Since retirement this past January, I am well situated to do more, but am either undermotivated or when I get motivated I am stuck and stuck by weather related delay.
If it was easy, anybody could do it.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:41 pm
Sorry for your losses. Very glad to hear you've got your head on straight . The work and reloading will help and it sounds as though you've a good and steadfast partner in your wife,so if I may "get on with life" and good luck.
Too old to be nice, never too old to learn!

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:23 pm
Sorry to hear of your losses.As we age, it seems we lose friends at an ever increasing rate.

Hope the loading helps you.Do a little rifle reloading,by times myself.Use a Lee hand held loader and usually RCBS dies.

Return to Ammunition