Any '94 30-30 Reloading Ninjas?

Anything and everything related to ammunition can be posted here.

Moderator: Ridgerunner665

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:14 am
Hello all...
My goal is to load light, subsonic critter ammo for my 1976 '94 30-30 that I've had for over a decade. I'm familiar with Sam Fadala, Paco Kelly... but rusty.
For years (10ish?) I've only ever read on the forums, so here we go, lol.

Today I thought, screw it! I'm getting some reloading stuff, because if nothing changes then nothing changes, right? Now I'm the proud owner of some new Lee stuff: Hand Press Kit, Pacesetter 3-Die Set, Case Length Gauge & Shell Holder, Cutter & Lock Stud (Case Trimmer), Primer Pocket Cleaner and Chamfer Tool.

Figured it was a good start, as I am now broke, but happy :D
Ya, still need a reloading book, and a caliper gauge. I'll have those in about a week. Figured I could use the scale I have for my archery gear. I currently have mixed used brass I've shot: Win, Rem and Fed, both 150 and 170's. Maybe 130's as well as sabot 55gr brass. Different capacities?

So really, I think all that's left is bullets, powder and primers. As I'm on the cheap, cast bullets are for me - or just lead balls (have been saving lead and soon will be getting a melting pot and molds), thinking Trail Boss since it's supposed to be pretty much idiot proof, primers-not sure for my application.

Haha, I'm excited! Finally doin it!! Problem now is, never done it before... :shock: nor do I know anyone who does. Ya sure, I've done a lot of reading, but that only goes so far. Hopefully that's where you guys come in. :)

Anyhow, I hope to get some '94 30-30 reloading ninjas on board to help sort things out.
Thanks for your time.
'94 30-30
100 ATR .243
Marlin 60ss
.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:42 pm
Hi redryder Getting there... been familiarizing myself again with a whole lot of the more "classic" online 30-30 (+reloading) articles. and messin a bit with the new equipment. I think I've got a perma-grin goin on lol, knowing I'm oh so close. :D

Would you happen to know if I'll be wanting necksizing and expander dies too? I'm thinking so.
'94 30-30
100 ATR .243
Marlin 60ss

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:13 pm
Hi Camel, there is a bunch of places where you can find uploaded reloading handbooks. You should also try loaddata.com Your best bet for cast bullets info is www.castboolits.com
Cheers

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:39 pm
Camel 73, glad to hear there is another addict in the making!
I suggest getting and reading the Lyman #49 loading manual the other good one for new loaders is Lee's manual,though he is a bit proud! One piece of advice is do not use load data from anyone else use only data from powder,bullet, or reputable equipment manufacturers ie; Lee, Hodgdon, Speer.....
I also suggest a good beam scale like RCBS or Redding's.
Have fun and Be SAFE!
Too old to be nice, never too old to learn!
.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:30 am
Thanks for the advise bob. I've been hooked for years, but being able to do something about it has been another story. I actually have (some of) the tools now to at least get started with my brass. Just popped out the primers last night :D lol.

My brain is burning, but in a good way... way lots of info to absorb but so far so good. Headspacing, chamber tightness, cb speed,hardness and fouling, ladder testing, burn rates, saami case specs, bullet concentricity, partial full length sizing, neck thickness, barrel ringing, explosions, excessive pressure signs, freebore... the list goes on...

Too broke for the manuals yet. Good thing I'm hooked up to the net. Sifting through all the opinions and getting the nugget often times takes a bit though.

One thing I was wondering about since I'm here is if I wanted to load a led ball for sub vel., the jump to the rifling seems like a lot, no?
'94 30-30
100 ATR .243
Marlin 60ss

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:46 pm
I reload quite a bit.

With 4 leverguns, 3 in 30-30 and one in .44 magnum.

There is lots of data out there. Google and you will find many good loads for the 30-30.

I have found Varget works well just as the old stand by 3031 powder.

But the best seems to be LeverEvolution. I load 170 gr soft points and yes 2300 fps from a 20 inch Marlin 336 Texan. Soon I'll try the same in my Winchester 94 16 inch barrel Trapper I just got. I think it will make an honest 2150 fps, thus duplicating what ballistics one gets from a 20 inch barrel!

And since deer season is about here lots of shooting ranges are open to the public for sighting in day. Good time to collect some fresh 30-30 brass that is left on the ground!

Deaf

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:38 am
How's it going? Old thread...
When I started reloading I sounded just like you camel, head spinning at the amount of info. I found that I gained an entirely new perspective on shooting and guns in general. I didn't become a ballistics expert by any means, but began to understand how different things come together. Speed, twist, weight, bullet length, barrel length, chamber pressures just to name a few.
Also learned a great deal about the mechanics of guns in general. A couple things being the weight of parts in an action having as much effect as the shape and the way different guns, both big and small, seal the chamber against gas pressure. All very amazing stuff that I never really knew because there was never any need for it. I think a solid understanding is a very good thing when reloading.
I will eventually reload for 30-30 as well and read your post. Just wondering how it turned out for you.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:15 pm
filemaker
I have stopped by this thread just to see what had happened with the original.
Don't know where he went or if he really got a good start on loading.

Too bad. I have been loading for all of my rifles and pistols and shotguns since 69 and it is interesting to see others get started. Once in a while I have been able to help. Lots of records etc garnered over these many yrs. I don't throw away y any of my old manuals either and even have some from my dad dating back into the 40s and 50s.

Anyway, good luck and maybe the fellow will come back.

UF

Return to Ammunition