Trapshooting

Anything and everything related to competition shooting (ie trap, skeet, etc) can be posted here.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:53 pm
Anybody out there use their vintage winchesters for shooting trap? I don't compete with mine, but do like to take some of my model 12's out for practice, and occasionally to meat/holiday shoots. In the Pacific Northwest I see quite a few other people doing the same. Long ago I found myself without the use of my regular gun, and ended up using a model 97 with no rib. I can still remember the recoil bite with that steel butt plate. it did'nt seem to have much effect :shock:, and I found that gun to shoot pretty well , especially at long distances. Well, hope this thread will see some action. P.S. haven't had time to get the picture thing figured out, but hope to eventually do so. Good shooting!

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:34 am
Well first i have to get a vintage Winchester Shotgun
"Im just a Peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns"

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:17 am
I enjoy shooting trap. And when I go trapshooting, the Model 12, donut base trap goes with me. There is something about that gun, that adds a certain element to the trapshooting experience. I think that if more people would give the Model 12 a try, you would see more of them on the trapline. It is also a great conversation starter, especially with other shooters who own Model 12's.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:30 pm
Rodbuster, they are a good shooting gun, but like anything, people want new things to try, and before you know it older models are left in the dust. It has to be noted that some of us grew up on semi-autos, and shooting trap doubles with a pump might be what you would call an aquired taste/skill :roll: The recoil can be a negative with model 12's/long tournaments, but many of these guns had really good chokes that could really hold a tight pattern especially good for long handicap yardage/ fun and game shoots. Merry Christmas, and good shooting!
Vendor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:59 pm
i shoot a 1964 pigeon grade trap model 12 2 bbl set. has a factory pad, straight trap stock, and plate 4 engraving. great gun. everyone laughs at the 28"vr bbl it sports, but stop laughing quick when i dont miss with it. a plain trap m12 will start around 900 and go up. well worth the cost.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:55 am
It has been many years since I've shot trap, but I once won all the marbles at a trap club turkey shoot against shotguns worth more than my truck! We couldn't break a tie from 27 yd line so we shot from the porch of the clubhouse, about 45 yds! He missed and I luckily chipped with my dad'd old 16 ga M-12 and my 1 oz handloads. No kidding! :shock:

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:17 pm
I use a Winchester model 12 trap that has been custom stocked and engraved in the singles and handicap ATA events at my gun club. For doubles, I use a Winchester 21 Trap. Love shooting the old Winchesters. I get some funny looks from younger shooters, but that is part of the fun.
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:33 pm
That is one beautiful firearm...!!

.22LR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:07 pm
There is nothing that swings and breaks a target like the Mod 12. I've collected and exclusively shot them competitively for the last 45+ years. Get them stocked right and they shoot sweet. I still have a few (did I say quite a few) ..lol, and their like part of the family.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:05 am
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum popspastime !!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:46 pm
This is an older post but I enjoy looking at photos of engraved guns ---- but I did notice something strange when looking at the additional photos on PhotoBucket.

Take a look at the image of the pigeon on the Pigeon Grade Model 12 --- isn't it facing in the wrong direction?

Return to Competition Shooting