Stock Care Question

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

.22LR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:45 am
What is the best way to care for the wood on a new 92? Thanks!
What we lost in the fire, we will find in the ashes. Sam Chisholm

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:04 am
Renaissance Wax

.22LR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:15 am
XLIV wrote:Renaissance Wax

Much thanks! Will get some.
20g
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:37 am
That stuff works for me.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:59 pm
Good ol Simoniz paste wax works great as well and not to spendy either!
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:01 am
The owner of the LGS where I work (a serious Marlin & Winchester lever rifle collector) tells me NOT to put any wax or oil on the stock in order to preserve its worth and natural look. I'm a tad torn here! Is this the conventional route to take? FWIW, it's doubtful I'll ever part with this treasure.

Thanks to all who replied to my initial question! I continue to welcome your advice!!
20g
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:14 am
I still go with the quality wax. Most every option toward collecting firearms is subjective. I don't consider myself a collector. I have mostly early BB guns that could be considered collected and admire the glossy furniture on all my holdings.

Your gun, your call.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:46 pm
redryder wrote:I still go with the quality wax. Most every option toward collecting firearms is subjective. I don't consider myself a collector. I have mostly early BB guns that could be considered collected and admire the glossy furniture on all my holdings.

Your gun, your call.

Makes sense to me. Will definitely choose to wax. Thanks again!
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:17 pm
If you go to WinchesterCollector.org and go to the forum, search about wax, you will find many high end collectors use wax. Many do use renaissance wax, and some as I use Simoniz (The Yellow Can), not spray can waxes. One thing to note about Simoniz, it is the purest wax you can buy with No chemical additives.

If you do use wax, take the butt plate off, forearm if possible, and hit areas normally left unfinished. Also, heat the wood with a heat lamp so as to make the wood absorb the wax into the pores. Use it on metal as well. Apply light coats, notice I said coats, and allow to soak into the wood. Wax will protect metal from possibly rusting. After it has dried, buff off. Remember two light coats are better than one heavy coat of wax.

Gives a nice finish to the wood and after time will wear off with absolutely no ill effects. Do some research don't take folks word as gospel, and make a decision for yourself. Lots of good ideas, opinions and such on this forum as well. Good luck!
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:17 am
ColdWarGrunt wrote:If you go to WinchesterCollector.org and go to the forum, search about wax, you will find many high end collectors use wax. Many do use renaissance wax, and some as I use Simoniz (The Yellow Can), not spray can waxes. One thing to note about Simoniz, it is the purest wax you can buy with No chemical additives.

If you do use wax, take the butt plate off, forearm if possible, and hit areas normally left unfinished. Also, heat the wood with a heat lamp so as to make the wood absorb the wax into the pores. Use it on metal as well. Apply light coats, notice I said coats, and allow to soak into the wood. Wax will protect metal from possibly rusting. After it has dried, buff off. Remember two light coats are better than one heavy coat of wax.

Gives a nice finish to the wood and after time will wear off with absolutely no ill effects. Do some research don't take folks word as gospel, and make a decision for yourself. Lots of good ideas, opinions and such on this forum as well. Good luck!

Thank you very much for the insightful and thus helpful reply! Much appreciated!!
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:40 pm
Don't know about insightful or helpful, just another's opinion is all. That's what makes this forum a great place. What ever you decide to do make sure to make an update on what you decided to do and how ya did it.
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:24 pm
ColdWarGrunt wrote:Don't know about insightful or helpful, just another's opinion is all. That's what makes this forum a great place. What ever you decide to do make sure to make an update on what you decided to do and how ya did it.

A good friend and custom gun shop owner here in Princeton, West Virginia, kindly applied one coat of a quality wax he uses to my 92. I was pleased with the outcome as there was no apparent change in the finish of the wood, but now it bears the benefit of some added protection!

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting