Suggestions for bubbafied buggered up screws

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.
.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:29 pm
On a recently acquired 1898 Winchester 1894 Rifle, good ol' bubba got to it and there are 2 screws one on each side of the receiver that would allow removal of the lever action are really screw up bad from bubba using the wrong type screw driver.

I am wondering if using carefully a ez-out tool for removing bad screws would be something worth taking a chance one ? I have access to the correct placement screws if I could get these out. Never had a screw
so badly deformed as these are in the past and never used an ez-out on firearm screws

Any insight or opinions would be greatly appreciated ...

Thanks for viewing ...
20g
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:00 pm
I have not used ez-out on a firearm. Have used on jukebox chassis with no material damage. Placed 2 layers of Duck tape. Took a flat piece of strong plastic to rub over the screw head leaving an indent around the screw head, then a hobby knife to cut around the screw head parameter before using the ez-out. Duck tape should keep the tool from sliding onto the receiver.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR
.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:32 pm
redryder wrote:I have not used ez-out on a firearm. Have used on jukebox chassis with no material damage. Placed 2 layers of Duck tape. Took a flat piece of strong plastic to rub over the screw head leaving an indent around the screw head, then a hobby knife to cut around the screw head parameter before using the ez-out. Duck tape should keep the tool from sliding onto the receiver.

Thanks Redryder for the info, I have never used an ez-out on a firearm either, which makes me a bit leary
in trying it. Least for now with the butt stock off I can open the action and do some flushing that way to help clear out the junk. Going to think more on using an ez-out for sure

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:04 am
Depending what screws they are sometimes you can back them out with a set of jewelers needle nose pliers from the inside enough to safely cut a new slot with a Dremel or finish turning them out with your vice grips once the head is no longer flush ......yeap getting them started coming out is the hard part good luck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:53 pm
When they're all buggered up like that it's often because someone used loctite on them. The good news is that loctite melts at about 225 degrees so a heat gun will get the job done. If the heads are really bad then a left-handed drill bit in a pin vise can sometimes grab them and they come out.

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting