Model 94 been in weather for last 20+ years

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:41 am
In my dads shed i ran across this old model 94. Ill start with the stock. The hand guard looks as if it was soaked in oil sometime in the past and the butt end is dried out pretty bad and shows a few cracks. The barrel; It was clogged up with possibly old dirt dobber nests and the outside is pretty rusty.

I am still able to make out some of the writing on the barrel and i was actually suprised it wasnt pitted worse than it is. The lever action; it wouldnt operate at all but i could get the hammer to cock and the trigger released it. The rifle seems to have all its parts but the butt plate.

I sprayed the action with PBBlaster and surprisingly it worked. I sprayed down the barrel also and managed to unplug it with a bit of elbow grease and an old bore cleaning brush. I have not done a thorough job on the inside of the barrel but i can still see the rifling in it.

From what i can see this thing needs to be taken apart, placed in a tub of some sort of cleaning liquid and allowed to soak for a few days. You folks got any recommendations on what i should soak it in? I was thinking diesel fluid myself.

I know yall will want pics but i dont have them yet. Ill get some loaded up tomorrow for yall but until then what yall think? Have any of you ever tried to get a rifle this bad off back to working condition?
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:06 am
Sounds like it definitely needs some TLC...

I would take any wood off the gun before soaking it in anything...brake cleaner has been mentioned here before.

Good Luck...keep us in the loop.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:19 pm
Absolutely do not soak the wood!!! Just curious as to why you would use diesel?
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:09 pm
ColdWarGrunt wrote:Absolutely do not soak the wood!!! Just curious as to why you would use diesel?

I wasnt planning on soaking the wood guys but thanks for saying so anyways. As for why would i use diesel well i was a construction worker and we ran across badly rusted machinery quite often. Diesel was cheap and easy to get plus its loaded with oils. For scrubbing and rinsing badly rusted parts it actually works pretty well. It would get all up inside every crack and crevice lubricating and cleaning out hard to reach spots. After the diesel i thought id get some denatured alcohol to cut the excess oils and everything else left on the metal. Once i had everything clean id wipe everything down with some CLP which i have handy.
If you guys know of a better substance to soak the parts in and scrub them down with im all ears.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:04 pm
Sounds like a plan! I have just never heard of soaking in diesel but I don't work around it or don't know a lot about it either. Post some before and after pics as would be interesting to see!
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:44 pm
My brother recently told me he soaked some corroded parts in coca-cola and after a couple days they were clean and shiny as if new and polished. I do think all the parts were probably aluminum, brass, and stainless steel since the parts were from fishing reels. Don't know how it would do on carbon steel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 4:30 am
sw0596 wrote:My brother recently told me he soaked some corroded parts in coca-cola and after a couple days they were clean and shiny as if new and polished. I do think all the parts were probably aluminum, brass, and stainless steel since the parts were from fishing reels. Don't know how it would do on carbon steel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

We used to pour a two liter of Coke in with our laundry on jobs where we got particularly greasy. It made an amazing difference. I learned that trick from some old-timers back when i was in my late teens though i have never thought of using it on metal parts. Makes me curious as to what it would do to carbon steel.
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:00 am
Coca Cola is VERY corrosive to metal, especially sheet metal like car hoods....I would stick with either Ballistol or a brake cleaner myself.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:45 am
Sounds like a parts gun more then a shooter but yes we need pictures to see the extent of damage .....break free is usually a safe bet

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting