Refinishing Model 94 stock

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:06 am
I have a 1951 model 94, SN 1877338. I think some of the clear coat has wore off near the grip. I am wondering if I should refinish/touch-up the stock and if so how?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:46 am
https://imgur.com/a/I1fUE

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:28 am
Jethro wrote:I have a 1951 model 94, SN 1877338. I think some of the clear coat has wore off near the grip. I am wondering if I should refinish/touch-up the stock and if so how?
If you have it S an antique or relic then no, don't touch it. If it's a shooter, do as you please, just know that the normal wear and tear patina can matter to some buyers.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:35 pm
Good point sschefer. From what I have observed, beyond a given firearm having to be interesting to them, Collector's firearms are prized for condition most, then, scarcity, then age and other factors to numerous to start listing.

The rest are all "shooters". My 1939 Winchester 1894 20" 30-30 Short Rifle was in respectable condition but it showed some use. Other than that is was one of thousands made just like it in 1939 most of which are still around today. I wrote to the Cody Winchester museum just to be sure it had no record of being built differently that it appears and yes, it was original and supposed to be the way it is. One of many built like it and not in perfect shape.

It's a "shooter". If I lived to be 150 it will never conceivably become a collectible rifle and it isn't "collectible" now. However its retail value is going up regardless which is adds value not collect-ability.

So, I had it bored out to 38-55 to Make it more fun for me and more interesting at resale.

Hopefully this helps some to clarify the term "collectible firearm" and show which firearms are also valuable, but as "shooters" to us folk who aren't necessarily collectors but love to shoot.

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting