Shotgun won’t open sometimes?

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:02 pm
Hi all I have an issue with my Winchester 5500 here in the uk, I have a problem opening the gun after firing .but the frustrating thing is not every time
it can happen two or three times in a row and then not for fifty shots I got someone else to shoot it and it got stuck on them two .
I asked a “expert” and they told me to looks the top spring but they got vague quite quick after that
anybody had this before.
my gun is old but I don’t want to retire it just yet. When it gets stuck several pushes on the top lever and a but of shaking normally does the trick.I have cleaned it out and put in new firing pins but nothing else
Any advice .?
20g
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:51 pm
Hi Dave A,

Can't help with the ejector. I suppose you have checked with more than one Smith?

Anyway, I was locked out of this site for about six-months. Nobody came up with why. Now that I'm back most all others are gone. We enjoyed some Winchester savvy members. Guess they gave up as I did.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:12 pm
Hi red thanks for the reply I was locked out too I thought it was because I was,not active enough
The problem is not the ejectors but just opening the gun once fired,but I am going to run it through a sonic cleaner see if it helps...friend of mine put his 20g Miroku through and it took off the blacking so at least I know it cleans deep.
Will let you know what happens
Dave
20g
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:02 pm
Okay, you were clear on the problem. I did not pay attention to detail. Not familiar with the 5500. Could the ejector hang on occasion? Would be nice if the cleaning solves the issue.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:37 am
Tried to reply but site keeps rejecting submission

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting