Model 1890 bent tang, how to straighten?

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:24 pm
I have a Model 1890 third generation with bent tangs. The stock was split and the tangs are bent. Redryder speculates it was run over at some time which is a good guess. How should the tangs be straightened? Heat or no heat? I intend to have a gunsmith or machinest do the work but want to know which method is best. I am considering removing the trigger, hammer, and moving parts prior to straightening; guidance on this would be appreciated too.

The picture shows the extent of the damage. The action works well. The stock split was repaired with two machine screws through the split. From the amount of oil soaked into the split area, it looks like the gun was used for decades after the initial damage. My intent is to get it back to shooting condition.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Nub 64
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (56.83 KiB) Viewed 15263 times
20g
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:13 pm
You have a liability question. I would not attempt realigning an old piece of metal. A Smith might go with bending. Chance of success is about 50/50. Only the brave continue into the abyss.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:52 am
redryder wrote:You have a liability question. I would not attempt realigning an old piece of metal. A Smith might go with bending. Chance of success is about 50/50. Only the brave continue into the abyss.

That is good advice to proceeded carefully. Thank you

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:27 am
With due respect for Redryder's thoughts, I don't understand the liability issue unless you are trying to sell the rifle . I would carefully bend the tang back to original as that "old metal" is also good metal. If you are uncomfortable doing it yourself have a competent gunsmith do it, then enjoy the results. I offer this as a fellow owner of that series rifle also with some experience with metal.
Too old to be nice, never too old to learn!
20g
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:10 pm
Hay bob,

Good to see your posts again. My liability comment is a tad arcane. By liability, was referring to the high chance of fracturing the tang. I have been wrong many times. I am a tad skittish toward bending old cold metal.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:30 pm
I totally understand RR and with out a serial No. we don't know its age, it may be fairly modern compared to me that is.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:47 pm
Bob and Redryder. I appreciate your conversation which is very helpful. The SN is 508XXX which I believe is manufactured in 1914 and third generation. I see that people don't give the full SN. Is there a reason not to?

I am going to take it to a smith in Bend Oregon this week to see about straightening it. I also have metal working and engineering experience and think that even cold bending it back probably won't work harden it too much to cause a fracture. I also like to listen to those who are more experienced than I am when it comes to doing it right the first time. This is not the first one to get run over and bent but it is my first and I am all ears.

This forum is great. Once I get the metal de-rusted and straightened, I will tackle the stock. It is oil soaked and in need of a tedious restoration. I will probably buy an aftermarket stock so I can get it into service and take my time on the stock.

I am a 64 year old newby at restoration thus I am Nub 64. Thank you for your help.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:29 pm
Nub, please let us in on the out come. Ebay or gun broker may have a good replica or even an original stock. Good luck and enjoy!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:36 pm
The gunsmith referred me to a local restorer of old firearms. What great luck there. He had fixed bent tangs on 1890's before and made a fixture and then had a dial indicator on the tang. He went a few thousands past straight and then let it spring back, and checked for straight and went a few thousand more until it was back to original. The tangs were also bent inward a little. All work was done cold.

He also had an old 1890 stock so I don't need to try and repair mine. I saw a few of his restorations and his work is impeccable. I was shown some restoration techniques for octagonal barrels with razor blades and files and how to attack other parts.

With his guidance I have decided to get the surface rust tackled, get it shooting and let it get some natural color and not do a full restoration with re bluing. I will put out some pictures of the progress in a few days.
20g
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:26 pm
Congratulations Nub for continuing on to save a great lady from scrap. Makes for happy reading too.

The Smith you partnered with is legendary.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:15 am
Glad to hear the great outcome Nub, looking forward to pictures!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:01 pm
She has completed phase one and gone to the range for the first time in many decades. My wife and I ran about 60 rounds through and everything was smooth and flawless. It is quite accurate and fun to shoot.

Here are a few pictures of how it looks after the initial clean up. The bore was in very good shape with good rifling and no corrosion. For now I am going to leave it like this and let it darken on its own and build character.

These rifles get addictive. I am blessed to have a supportive wife. Thanks for showing interest RR and Bob.

Nub
Attachments
image.jpeg
The replacement stock is so much better than repairing the old one.
image.jpeg (37.73 KiB) Viewed 15106 times
image.jpeg
The tangs are straight now.
image.jpeg (49.16 KiB) Viewed 15106 times
image.jpeg
Winchester red stain and Tru Oil finish.
image.jpeg (75.59 KiB) Viewed 15106 times
20g
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:28 pm
You and your smith did good.

A beautiful lady with a few beauty marks as a result of aging with dignity.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:02 pm
:D :D

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting