Planning: Elk Hunt 2014

Anything and everything related to hunting can be posted here.

Moderator: Ridgerunner665

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:11 pm
I think I've seen some pictures of people hunting elk in this section and although I don't want to double post things, I figured someone over here may run across this... Thanks in advance for any help :D

Link to original thread incase you want to see what's been discussed - http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3964

Right now this is still a dream, one that I really hope will come true. I've set a target of November 2014, but depending on how life goes it may end up being 2015. Either way, everyone I talk to says start preparing early. I'm trying to buy equipment now, so that next year when I start booking everything I won't have to worry about having money to get equipment. I'm going to start a checklist in this thread and I hope that you all will have some advice for me on what to get. I'll update it as necessary

I have:
The rifle, but I still need some advice on the set up - http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3356

I need:
Binoculars and/or spotting scope - http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic ... 126&t=3942
Shooting Sticks and/or bipod - I'm used to shooting off hand or leaning against trees, I'm not really sure what the terrain will be like so I have no idea what to do here.
Calls :?:

More pertinent details:
I'm looking at hunting in Montana and/or Colorado
I want to do a Self Guided Hunt, partially to save money, but mostly because I want the satisfaction of shooting something I found.

Ranches I've looked at:
http://www.selfguidedhunts.com/martinsdale.html
http://montanaelkhunting.rhynardranchrec.com/
http://www.rockymountainhunting.com/elk_hunting.html
Last edited by rjpoog1989 on Sun May 13, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan_________________________

Winchester 94 30-30 Win

.22LR
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:34 am
Look at a topographic map of where you want to be hunting.
That will give you an idea of how steep the terrain is and plan your routes accordingly.
You can also look at some arial photos too for a birds eye view of the area.

I've used .338 Win mag on moose. 225 gr Nosler Accubond bullets @ 2800 fps. 71.0 gr of Reloader 19.
Last moose, shot in the chest at almost 250 yards. He collapsed right where he stood.

I don't recommend muzzle brakes. They are real loud SOB :twisted: I once shot a .300 Weatherby mag with the brake. After the dust settled and I wiped the dirt off my face from the blast, no hole in the target. My friend was beside the rifle. After the shot he looked like the Pillsbury dough boy... :lol:
Quickly handed his rifle back to him, never again.

You want to shot out to 500 yards? :roll: Forget it. you won't need to shoot that far. 300 yards is fine.

You might want to think about getting a bipod for the rifle. Makes for a steady rest when no trees to rest on. Harris bipod is a good one. Get one that can swivel side to side for uneven terrain.
Or you can always put the backpack on the ground and rest the rifle over it.

Have a look at 8x or 10x Steiner binoculars. Once it is set to your eyes then it auto adjusts for different ranges 30 yards to ~. I have the 8x Safari. Used and abused. Never had an problem with them.
Didn't cost much either, think it was $270 bought few years ago. Steiner has been making HQ binocs for the army for a long time. Other good choices would be Leupold Wind River, Redfield (cheaper version made by Leupold).
.22LR
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:47 pm
I've never heard of Steiner, but looks legit and I'll be seriously considering their binoculars. I'm thinking a trip to Cabela's is in order :)

I also agree with the bipod idea. Right now I'm thinking of getting shooting sticks as well as a bipod. I will try to post pictures of the backpack I plan on taking. I just need to dig it out of the attic at my parents house... I haven'y used it for anything since going to Philmont with the Boy Scouts like 6 or 7 years ago.

Winchester 94 30-30 Win

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:19 pm
rjpoog1989 wrote:I've never heard of Steiner, but looks legit and I'll be seriously considering their binoculars. I'm thinking a trip to Cabela's is in order :)

I also agree with the bipod idea. Right now I'm thinking of getting shooting sticks as well as a bipod. I will try to post pictures of the backpack I plan on taking. I just need to dig it out of the attic at my parents house... I haven'y used it for anything since going to Philmont with the Boy Scouts like 6 or 7 years ago.

Shooting sticks would be the cheaper option. You could make them your self.

Different models of Steiner binoculars:

How they are made:

Durability test:
.22LR
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:48 pm
Thanks for the videos, I like the home made shooting sticks!

So now here I sit wondering about the following. Do I buy preference points for a better chance at getting a Montana tag (you can buy 1 per license year at 50$ a point) or look more at Colorado and Rocky Mountain Ranches (link added to the OP) where I can buy a tag over the counter? Both places in Montana are close to Yellowstone. Part of me wanted to go back to Yellowstone for a few days before heading out on the hunt, but I like the idea of a guaranteed tag and not having to worry about the draw system. It may also be important to note that there will be (unless something changes) 3 of us going on the hunt, so we need three tags.

I will say this much, this is a hard trip to plan. There are a lot of options available, and very complicated regulations that vary from state to state.

Winchester 94 30-30 Win

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:49 pm
Did you go?

Return to Hunting