Magpul Angled Fore-Grip: AFG/AFG2 Review

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:08 pm

Magpul AFG® - Angled Fore Grip

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG411/88

Unlike conventional vertical fore-grips, the Magpul AFG (Angled Fore-Grip) takes into account natural body mechanics and provides a comfortable and stable user interface that reduces fatigue and allows for more precise weapon control. By positioning the shooter's hand high on the centerline of the bore, the AFG helps mitigate recoil and control the weapon, facilitating faster, more accurate follow-up shots.

Made in U.S.A.

Available Colors:

Black
Flat Dark Earth
OD Green
Foliage

Features

• Polymer three-piece design with an interchangeable finger shelf that allows for a flat "A1-style" surface or an "A2-style" finger nub
• Mounts to MIL-STD-1913 Picatinny and NATO STANAG 4694 rails (min. of ~4" recommended)
• All mounting hardware included

Specifications

◦ Weight: 2.92 oz.
◦ Length: 5.55 in.
◦ Height, over rail: 1.75 in.
◦ Width, maximum: 1.77 in.

MAGPUL® AFG™ (Angled Fore Grip) Theory

http://cdn.magpul.com/downloads/AFG_Theory.pdf

While most firearm accessories can enhance the performance and usability of a weapon, they generally maintain the same basic form and function of the component that they replaced. A certain stock or grip may be more comfortable, or magazine more reliable, but these upgraded parts change very little about the way a weapon is employed. Some equipment, however, is specifically designed to change the manual of arms or modify a shooter’s technique to increase speed and efficiency. Because simple plug and play does not apply, these are considered “Theory Based Products.”

As tactics and techniques evolve to address the demands of a dynamic battlefield, so too must the weapons and equipment employed by the shooter. Recent years have seen a trend toward shorter, more compact rifles for urban and close quarters combat, along with a dramatic increase in weapon-mounted accessories. Rail systems, tactical lights, optics, lasers, sound suppressors, and of course, vertical fore grips have become commonplace on the battlefield, and are intended to increase efficiency and lethality. Of these accessories, only the vertical fore grip (VFG) attempts to improve weapon control and ergonomics. Unfortunately, depending on technique, the use of a VFG may actually decrease shooter lethality as measured by hit percentage, accuracy, and time to engage targets. This inefficiency can be explained by a number of factors, but the two primary reasons are the poor ergonomics of the vertical “broom handle” grip, and the placement of the weapon’s mass on top of the shooter’s fist, which decreases weapon point control. In an effort to avoid these VFG pitfalls, many shooters have adopted a “thumb break” grip that utilizes the VFG primarily as a reference point, rather than an actual grip. This technique places the non-dominant hand in front of the VFG, gripping the weapon hand guard. Although the thumb break grip can be effective, its ergonomics leave something to be desired. Unlike conventional vertical fore-grips, the AFG (Angled Fore-Grip) takes into account natural body mechanics and provides a comfortable and stable user interface that reduces fatigue and allows for more precise weapon control. By positioning the shooter’s hand high on the centerline of the bore, the AFG helps mitigate recoil and control the weapon, facilitating faster, more accurate follow-up shots.
"We live in a society of wolves. You do not fight back by creating more sheep."
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:09 pm
AFG2™ - Angled Fore Grip (GEN 2)

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG414/88

The AFG2 is a slim line design that is shorter in overall length and width compared to the AFG. Smaller size allows for compatibility with a wider variety of rail systems, rail covers, and accessory mounts. The overall length has been reduced by .87” to minimize footprint, bulk, and weight.

Available Colors:

Black
Flat Dark Earth
OD Green
Foliage

Features

• Polymer three-piece design with an interchangeable finger shelf that allows for a flat "A1-style" surface or an "A2-style" finger nub
• Mounts to MIL-STD-1913 Picatinny and NATO STANAG 4694 rails (min. of ~3" recommended)
• All mounting hardware included

Specifications

◦ Weight: 2.53 oz.
◦ Length: 4.70 in.
◦ Height, over rail: 1.94 in.
◦ Width, maximum: 1.37 in.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:11 pm
The Magpul AFG/AFG2 is undoubtedly one of my favorite and most utilized add-on accessories. I broke both wrists playing football as a kid and have an issue with limited mobility/flexibility that makes the use of a more traditional vertical fore-grip difficult, often painful for me. I first began using the Magpul AFG on my SCAR 16s...

As the theory states, the AFG allows for a much more natural and ergonomic way to grip the rifle. Right away I noticed a big difference in my ability to control the rifle and support its weight much longer without fatigue in my supporting arm setting in. I also stopped having pain in my wrists after my shooting trips. I was so impressed with the AFG that I have added one to all of my railed AR-15s...

My short railed carbine wears an AFG2...

...the longer railed midlength sports a foliage AFG...

I've even added an AFG to my 590a1...

It's an uncommon accessory for a shotgun rail, but considering how much time I spend shooting with the AFGs on my rifles, it's a natural transition for me. The AFG's grip angle works incredibly well with the pump action, providing a solid grip purchase while chambering/ejecting a round. The use of an AFG on my 590a1 certainly turns a few heads at the range and sparks up a lot of conversation.

I would certainly recommend the AFG/AFG2 for anyone looking for a more ergonomic, comfortable alternative to traditional fore-grip options.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:06 pm
Yet another awesome examination of this field tested and battle proven device !!

Thanks SNIPER...and well done !!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:46 pm
Thanks Shooter,

I like posting up these reviews. These AFGs have served me well and I'm just glad I have the opportunity to share my experiences with others...

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:01 am
So many options for the AR but I have so little money! :(
"Im just a Peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns"

Return to Product Review