3" Sabots

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:19 pm
Just picked up my SX3 today! Man this is one slick semi-auto. I cannot WAIT to get some rounds through it.

I plan to carry my SX3 with me next month in the mountains of Colorado while I fly fish. I have done some searching on this topic, but I was hoping to get more detailed information here.

I am wondering what the best shell would be in the event that I need to protect myself from a bear? More specifically, one that will reliably cycle in this shotgun, while also not exceeding any of its limitations and causing potential damage.

I purchased 3" Remington Premier Copper Solid Sabot slugs, 1oz. This seemed to be the hardest cast projectile I could find at Gander... I realize copper isn't especially hard. These suckers were expensive! 5 shells for $21.99!!!

I have read multiple posts from a variety of forums with users giving advice ranging from 2 3/4" buckshot would do the trick, any type of foster type slug would work, that absolutely nothing else besides sabot slugs would work, sabot slugs in a smooth bore is useless, and that sabot slugs in a smooth bore would do just fine although rifled would be preferred.

Open to any and all input from users!

Cheers!
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:23 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Please introduce your self to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...a mandatory step for membership.

Enjoy the forum.
20g
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:09 am
Hello Rougen.......glad you joined us.

I have never been big bear country. If I were, would want a full tube of the hottest and heaviest load possible. The Sabots should do fine. The load must penetrate matted fur and tough hide on a beast with attitude. You are terrified, the bear is not. Will probably need several rapid shots to be effective. Take the cop SOP toward a fatal threat......3 rounds rapid fire......prepare for 3 more.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Return to Winchester SX3