Ammo loads

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:40 pm
Hello,

My wife and I recently picked up a SXP defender for home defense. We purchased some clay target for practice and the sales clerk recommended Remington Magnum 3 inch 00 Buck. We started learning about our firearm and learning good safety practices. We decided, on Valentines Day, to join the local indoor range to finally have to opportunity to practice. As it turns out, we are only aloud to use the rifle range, shoot at 50 yards and we can only use slugs. The 2 3/4 hurt quite a bit but after 3 boxes, we felt good and respectful of the damage that our SXP is capable of. The next time we went to the range, They only had Federal 3 inch slugs and we found a cycling problem. After the second shot, I had to call the range warden over help dig out the shell. He said that while technically we can load and fire 3 inch shells, the expansion of the shell when it fires causes the jamming. This lead me to start wondering if while the SXP can while technically shoot 3 inch shells, are they recommended? I have 5 boxes of the 3 inch 00 that I haven't shot but I wonder If I will have an issue with it when it matters most? If I must fire slugs at my range, I have also been investigating he Aquila mini-slugs. Does anyone know if they will cycle through ok? One final question, can anyone recommend a low recoil shell for home defense? I want to enjoy my purchase but full slugs have made me very, for lack of another term, "Gun shy" and flinchy.

Thanks,
Jim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD0

Return to Winchester SXP