Camp/Field Combo Review

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:33 pm
I picked up the camp/field combo about a month and a half ago. Overall, I really like this gun. It really does give you two guns in one. I have not had a chance to test out the 18" barrel yet, but have over 500 rounds at the skeet range through it. Overall, here are the pro's and cons of the gun, I'll start with the cons.

Cons:
- When I took the gun out of the box, the stock was not centered properly. I had to remove the recoil pad, and get in there with a #6 allen head to tighten.
- It came loose again after shooting and had to tighten again. This time I inadvertently over tightened the cheap screws that hold the recoil pad on and cracked the plastic extension in the buttstock that the screws thread into. Then the recoil pad broke off. I called Winchester and they had a new one to me in 3 days. No problems since......I'm crossing my fingers.
- Impossible to do a change-over (select-slug) like a Remington. Not good in tactical situations, if needed.
- The forearm rubs on the barrel. May be down to bare metal after a few hundred more rounds.
- chokes come loose after about 15 rounds...carry the spanner with you.
- forearm retaining ring comes loose.
- Trigger pull is a bit heavy

Pros:
- Price
- Lightweight
- Fast action
- Excellent pointability (if that's a word)
- I have been able to embarrass the crap out of a lot of "professional" skeet shooters with this gun.
- Quick and easy to swap barrels
- So far it has functioned reliably

Other than some issues noted above, I really do like this gun. I have a Model 120 20ga, that I have had for 30 years. I hope this one lasts as long.

For the last 15 years I have been shooting an 870 Remington and have put literally 10's of thousands of rounds through it (I taught tactical shotgun courses) with no issues. It was bought at Wal-Mart in 1998 for $189 and the only thing I put on it was a Vang Comp barrel - KISS. I only hope that this one holds up as well.

I think now-a-days, for the price of this combo, it can't be beat. I'll run some slugs, buckshot, and 3 inchers through it to see how well it really holds up as well as how it patterns and its accuracy.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:54 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Return to Winchester SXP