Winchester SXP Trigger Problems - Customer Service

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:03 pm
New to these boards. Looking for suggestions. In December I purchased a SXP Defender. After the first range session I disassembled it to thoroughly clean and check. I discovered that the hammer and sear were not aligned. The sear was only catching about 60% of the hammer knotch. So, I called Winchester. They, of course, wanted me to ship the whole firearm to them, vs. just the trigger group. I did so and they received it on December 16th. Here we are, 2 1/2 months later and a new trigger group is STILL on back order. I've called Customer Service twice and they were no help other than to tell me what I already new....the part is on backorder. So why would it take SO long to get a trigger group for a production gun? I won't buy any argument about it having to come from Turkey. I've received items from England in 4 DAYS. Anybody else experienced this trigger issue? Anybody looked to see if they have that issue? Any comments on Customer Service? Winchester/Browning seems to be reluctant to provide an email address, at least I couldn't find anything, so I can't send email enquiries. I'm VERY disappointed and getting a little irritated at this point. Somebody calm me down.

Thanks
Last edited by Old94 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:16 pm
Old94 welcome to the New World of Customer Service or lack thereof! I know you mentioned in the New Members Area you were 67 or so. You Sir are old enough as am I at 53 soon to be 54, what Customer Service used to be about! Unfortunately, those days are Long Gone.

Unfortunately for Winchester in my opinion Customer Service ended around the same time as what myself and many reference as pre-64. I say this cause as time went on Winchester as well as many manufactures started producing things overseas. Now they are part of the Browning conglomerate as "just" another line.

Customer service eventually went overseas, you can't even hardly talk to a person that speaks English well enough to understand them most times anymore, in most any business. I am not saying this harshly, it is the truth.

I can not tell you anything about the modern Winchester as I just don't own any modern Winchester's personally. Again, not saying modern Winchester's are not good firearms either, I just have no interest in them. I am a Pre 64, with a few early Post 64 Winchester's, but love Commemoratives of any era!

Not uncommon for manufacture to have you send the entire firearm back nowadays as well. What should be a simple fix unfortunately ends up a long drawn affair, again cause we have outsourced all of our manufacturing capabilities or so it seems.

Sorry can't answer your questions, just trying to say you are not alone with your frustration nowadays! We grew up in an era when it was "all" about Customer Service, and time when electronics were not prevalent! When Customer Service was Hands on not far far away.
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:13 pm
OK, it has now been 3 months. I've called twice and all "customer service" can tell me is that the trigger group is on backorder. I'm sorry, I just don't get it. Do they only work 2 days a week in Turkey?

Winchester, please step up!
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:06 pm
Old94 IF it were me, I circumvent Customer Service and I'd go through someone in corporate, mainly trying to reach the CEO. I would be relentless in doing so as well until I got something done.
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:25 pm
Old94 here is the Corporate address and phone Numbers for Winchester...I'd call and ask to speak to a VP of Customer Service, VP of SXP Model Shotguns, I'd find someone who would help me I guarantee ya that!
Winchester
275 Winchester Avenue
Morgan, UT 84050
800-333-3288
801-876-2711

And I'd fill this out and specify that I am seeking to resolve this before you have to seek legal counsel. YES I would say legal counsel because you paid big bucks and no support and you haven't even been able to use it for months. This is unsat period!

http://www.winchester.com/Customer-Supp ... ct-Us.aspx

Go on Winchester's Official Facebook page and put a post about this situation and see what they do...they will not want bad Public Affairs. Sorry I'd fight fire with fire until I got my answers or my parts!
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:44 pm
Will do and will let you know what happens. Thank you!!!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:09 am
OK, here is the "answer" I received from "customer service" via email.

Thank you for contacting Winchester Ammunition.

We appreciate your business and we look forward to providing you with the same high level of customer service and support you have come to expect from us.

Here is the initial question/comment you submitted to Winchester on 3/18/2017along with our response.

Question:
Re: Service Number: 490982

You have now had my new SXP Defender for over 3 months for trigger "repair". Supposedly the trigger group is on backorder....for THREE MONTHS? Sorry, I'm a very unhappy camper right now and would like someone to look into this.

Answer:
Winchester licenses the Winchester name to Browning for the manufacture and distribution of Winchester brand rifles and shotguns. For more information on Winchester Guns call (800) 333-3288 or (801) 876-2711 or go to www.winchesterguns.com. For international Winchester gun inquiries call 32 (0)4 240 52 11 or go to www.winchesterint.com or e-mail smits@browning-int.com

Thank you for your feedback and for being a valued Winchester customer.

Sincerely,

Consumer Service Department Winchester Ammunition For additional information on Winchester Ammunition products, please visit our website at Winchester.com.

Another phone call will be made to them shortly and I'll let you know what happens.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:04 pm
Wow! One of the numbers is one I gave you. I know they are under Browning now as well but talk about dropping the ball. I'd push this as far as I could go. Personally I'd take it to the top and let the crap roll down hill!
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:27 pm
So I sent a second email day before yesterday to a different Customer Service address and have yet to get a response. Today I called and specifically asked for a Customer Service Manager or "higher up" that I could discuss an issue with. I was able to speak to a gentleman who promised me he'd look into it and call me back. I did not expect a call back to be honest. But, he did what he said he would do and told me that they've taken care of it and the shotgun should go out by the end of the week. We'll see. What I DIDN'T get was an explanation as to why it has taken 3+ months to make this "repair" (really no repair, just replace the trigger group).

Thanks to ColdWarGrunt...
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:32 am
Old94 no need to thank me buddy I am like you in that I expect Customer service to be exactly that and not some useless adage for advertising. Unfortunately one has to take matters into their own hands to get action.

I really don't see myself ever buying any modern Winchesters. So, for the time being I will stick to my Pre-64s. Perhaps I will eventually buy an AR style firearm, but even it will be iron sights original configuration and no fancy picatany rails or optics. I am old school and that's what I like.

Glad you got someone who actually listened cause otherwise I'd go to the top as I stated before. Most times if you skip a lot of wannabes you get action taken. I hope they indeed rectified the issue as well.

Don't reckon they shipped it across the big pond to get worked on do ya :o
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:06 am
I don't think so but who knows for sure.

Ya, I'm thinking I've bought my last NEW Winchester.

Thanks again!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:35 am
So I got notice a little over a week ago that that work was completed. A week later I got notice it shipped and will be here in, you guessed it, a week. What's two weeks when you've waited 3+ months? Thank GOD they didn't have to do any actual gunsmithing! It might have been next year!

As an aside, I purchased an FN SLP about 8 years ago. I immediately noted that the barrel did not line up with the receiver (twisted to one side). Took a picture and sent it to....Browning as I recall. That, fortunately, didn't take more than 2 weeks. But my point is, Browning/Winchester/FN QC leaves a lot to be desired, at least from my perspective.

All I can say now is that if this shotgun comes back with the same issue, I will be looking for a refund from Bass Pro Shops and will be writing a serious letter, not email, to the President of Browning. Not that it matters to anyone....it will to me. Then I'll go out and buy a 20 or 30 year old Remy 1100 and call it a day.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:03 am
Update

Received my shotgun yesterday. Trigger engagement is WAY better (not perfect but close). Trigger pull was also improved, smoother, less creepy although still on the heavy side (not back for a HD tool). Haven't shot it yet but I had no functioning issues before so I'm sure all will be fine. Needless to say, not happy with Browning Customer Service but hopefully they monitor these boards and will take this to heart. QC and Customer Service are top priorities in my book.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:30 am
Old94 glad she came back to you ok! I don't think folks know what customer service is nowadays like us older fellers.

Tell these young folks about the days when they would ask what type of gas you wanted, then they would pump it, check your oil and clean your windshield, then bring your change if any and a receipt. All without leaving your car! These young folks look at you as if you are crazy.

That's why I say that Winchester especially after 1963, began a steady decline until by the 80s they were done in many ways. Some folks get upset at that but proof is in the pudding as the old saying goes.
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:24 pm
two days ago I bought SXP Combo from a local Sail store.
Yesterday did the after-purchase maintenance and tried dry shoot it..., it would do it randomly and then not at all. Took out the trigger group thinking maybe some debris are clogging the mechanism, but couldn'y really see anything.
Excitement turned to disappointment..
Called the ASC for the brand and the guy told me 6, maybe seven months wait (deer hunt is around the corner) :x ..
Took it back to the store, a nice fellow who talked me off of 870 in favor of SXP was embarrassed and apologetic. We took the trigger assemblies from display model and my shotgun to compare, looked like my sear was not going far enough to disengage the hammer.
So I told him just let's swap them and send the SHOP gun for repair, 'oh no' he says 'it would be against our corporate policies, but let me talk to the manager', and here I got lucky, Curtis (remember the name Canadians of Toronto area) proved to be a man of common sense and pragmatism and approved in split second solution that I suggested.
Refreshing really, nowadays passing the buck is so common...

Anyways, looks like there is a problem with trigger assy in some SXP.
Before I buy my next firearm I'll very carefully research the technical support side of the manufacturer and read more blogs :)

My Stoeger o/u of almost 30 years failed me once (just couple of weeks ago), broken firing pin plunger,
one phone call and got it in 5 days.

Return to Winchester SXP