Winchester Model 101 Troubleshooting

Administrator
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:41 pm
Any issues, concerns or problems you may have with your Winchester Model 101; this is a thread for troubleshooting.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:29 am
I just purchased a 101 Pigeon Grade Sporting I have not shot it yet. When I started to clean it I noticed that the Invector Plus Chokes don't fit the bottom barrel the as well as the top barrel. There is some interference drag when pushing the choke in before it gets to the threads. It is harder to screw the chokes in I made sure that it was not the choke and I am wondering if it will create any problems by changing the point of impact?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:07 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum redcharger !!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:17 pm
I have a 70's vintage Win 101 12 Gauge. I am trying to sort out a problem I am having with the ejectors.

On first opening both ejectors are down against the barrel chamber. I shoot sporting clays and usually shoot the lower barrel (Mod) first. I can insert a shell OK, it fires normally and ejects correctly. However, with the breech still open I put in another shell. It slides in fine. However, often when I start to close the breech the ejector catches on the brass and bends it causing the breech not to close. When I open the gun back up to remove the shell, the ejector stays full out with spring tension.

My problem is the catching on the brass and bending it so the shell won't get into the chamber.

I can remedy the immediate problem by closing the breech with no shell inserted, open it again and now the ejector for the upper and lower barrels are down against the barrel.

Is the ejector supposed to stay full extended after the shell is ejected or is it supposed to eject and then retract so that it is seated on the barrel surface?

I have not had a problem with this gun for the last 2000 or so rounds but this just started happening. At first I thought it might be my reloads were not resizing correctly. However, that does not seem to be the problem as the reloaded shells I have measured are all correctly resized. The problem seems to be the fact that the ejector is catching on the brass for some reason and bending it.
20g
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:46 pm
Hello bennywhite. Welcome to the forum.
Can't help with your concern though.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:27 pm
I have answered part of my own question. Yes the ejector remains full out when you have fired a shell in that barrel. That is the way the auto-eject works on this gun. If you fire a barrel, only that shell is ejected.

I have several Brownings and another 101 and they all have the same or very similar ejector hammer and spring systems.

Therefore, I don't think it is a problem with the ejector or ejector hammer. I am going back to thinking maybe I have a sizing problem with my reloads. I will break out the calipers again and do some more measuring on the shells that have caught and bent the brass when the breech is closed. It does not look like the brass is being caught by the ejector but by the square edge of the barrel chamber itself. This only occurs when I put a new shell in the barrel with the fully extended ejector. If the ejector is down, i.e., that barrel has not been fired, then the shell and brass go into the chamber just fine. I think my reloader may be giving me resizing with the brass just a little bit over diameter.
20g
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:23 am
I suppose you have tried dummy shells or commercial shells for ejecting comparison?
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:23 am
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum Benny.

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...a mandatory step for membership here...

Enjoy the forum.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:57 pm
I figured out my problem. My MEC 9000 was not resizing the brass to the correct dimensions. I bought a micrometer and measured my reloads and new shells. The new 12 gauge REM Gun Clubs are .805 inches. Some of my reloads were up to .825 inches and some were a bit elliptical. I had the MEC 9000 refurbished so that everything works well but the collet was set a bit too big. I tightened it up a tiny bit and now the resizing gives me .805 brass.

The ejector problem I thought I had was not a problem at all. The ejectors were acting exactly like the Winchester 101 AutoEject ejectors were supposed to work. You fire a barrel, the ejectors push the spent hull out of the chamber and then stay extended until you close the breach and recock them. If you don't fire a barrel, the ejectors are not released and the good shell stays in the chamber.

The chambers on the Win 101 12 gauge are .810 inches for both barrels. When you close the breech on an extended ejector barrel the shell contacts the face of the receiver and that pushes it into the chamber. If you try to push a .825 inch diameter reload into a .810 barrel chamber you will bend the brass every time.
20g
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:25 am
You did good with catching the brass error. Guns are smarter than people. Although liberals believe guns go out alone and kill people.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Return to Winchester Model 101