101 break open problem

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:59 pm
I have a new to me 101 that I have difficulty breaking open when I've fired 2 shots. Works normally with 1 round. Also, today I had a situation where the latch arm didn't close all the way and, of course, the gun wouldn't fire. If I applied a bit of pressure toward the left on the latch it worked as advertised. I'm considering taking it apart and give it a good hose down with brake cleaner and re lube w/ CLP. Is there anything I should be careful about beyond normal care?
Thx

Naval Aviator - Viet Nam
NRA Life and Benefactor
Naval Flight Crew - Viet Nam
NRA Life & Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:57 am
buck45 wrote:I have a new to me 101 that I have difficulty breaking open when I've fired 2 shots. Works normally with 1 round. Also, today I had a situation where the latch arm didn't close all the way and, of course, the gun wouldn't fire. If I applied a bit of pressure toward the left on the latch it worked as advertised. I'm considering taking it apart and give it a good hose down with brake cleaner and re lube w/ CLP. Is there anything I should be careful about beyond normal care?
Thx

Naval Aviator - Viet Nam
NRA Life and Benefactor

I would soak it with CLP then wash that out with Contact Cleaner followed by compressed air and then inspect it thoroughly. If it checks out then oil it with a quality gun oil. CLP will loosen up the dirt and grit, the contact cleaner will dry up any debris and the compressed air will blow it all out. The reason I like contact cleaner is because it remains in a solvent state for only a very brief period (shorter than brake cleaner) and tends to be less prone to damaging surfaces that it may accidently come in contact with. Lowes carries it in their electrical department.

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:20 pm
Took it apart and didn't see anything out of place or crud build up so I figgered whatever the issue is it wasn't presenting itself in a manner that I could understand. I put it back together and took it to my gunsmith that has an ultrasonic cleaner. I'll post the solution.
NRA Life & Benefactor

.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:26 pm
Gunsmith found a small block of "crud" associated with the bottom barrel parts. Not sure exactly where. Removed it, cleaned and lubed and all is right with the world.
NRA Life & Benefactor

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:42 pm
Hi I have a similar problem with a 5500 model, changed the firing pins which might or might not be at fault a couple of weeks ago and this Sunday had the problem of gun not breaking open is this common, or is this the firing pin change and something sticking?any help would be great

Return to Winchester Model 101