Safety button will not move to select over barrel

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:27 pm
I recently purchased a 1st generation Winchester 101 made in Japan (serial no. 55XXX. The safety button will not move to the left in the off position to select the over barrel. Were some of the earlier models made this way? If so, can I do something so I will be able to select barrels? How do you remove the safety button? Thanks.
20g
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:42 pm
Welcome to the site.

I am not familiar with Japan Winchesters. Check with Winchester for guidance. Could be a recall.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:34 pm
Found out that there was a selective safety filler block installed which prevented barrel selection. I removed the safety button by turning the safety spring 90 degrees to disengage the spring from the safety and lifting the safety button out. The filler block can then be removed from the safety button. Reinstalled the safety button and spring and now barrel can be selected as needed.
20g
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:57 am
Nice work. Good there is no safety recall. Black the barrel change safety. Hummmm!
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Return to Winchester Model 101