Winchester 1886 thumb safety removal

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:58 am
I am considering the purchase of a new model 1886 Winchester. The thumb safety bugs me. Can this be changed back to the original configuration? Or should I look for an older model 1886 without the safety. I like to shoot and the idea of a fresh barrel appeals to me.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:51 am
Not sure my friend...

But...rest assured some member here will know.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:40 am
I'm not a big fan of the newer Lever Winchester models with thumb safeties and cross bolt safeties, they are just not my preference. I like the older style half-cock safety and prefer it to any of these newer styles, mainly because I am used to using the style of the older models. I'd say its probably better to look for a rifle with a safety that you don't need to modify and then you will be sure to be happy with it...... I'd be very cautious making any modifications to a factory installed safety device on a firearm. Just my 2 cents...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:06 pm
Thanks skinner-t, i'll do a little research and find the newest years that have the original configuration.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:36 pm
I just came across a Winchester 1886 takedown in 45-70. Box and papers etc etc. Found that I too didn't like the thumb safety. Gets in the way of a tang mounted sight. My solution is that I'll be sending mine off to Turnbull Restorations on Saturday to have the safety removed and color case all the metal parts. I still plan on doing plenty of shooting with it as soon as she gets back. Well, that's my solution to the dang tang safety but there are many other ways around it I'm sure. Hope this helps.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:27 pm
Thanks johnhenry, I went ahead and checked out Turnbull. The guns look really well done! I may just have to do some creative financing, to snag one though. They cost, but the quality is likely there. If I go the Turnbull route it will take me more time to put the funds together. I've done it before with an
Ed Brown purchase, and it was worth it.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:28 am
Sounds like you have a couple of options to look at now, hopefully you will find the 1886 you are after.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:32 am
Your welcome Mickey,

I was told at Turnbull that they would have the gun for 2 months. I'll be sure to post before and after picks then.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:40 am
Time for an update. My Winchester 1886 will be at my house from Turnbull Restoration on Friday the 19th of May. I will upload pics then.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:54 pm
I'm way late for any useful input concerning timing of the question presented here. Yet these Forums, serving the wider purpose of informing future folks with similar questions. The answers here, falling short in terms of a another alternative. Also to my mine a 'recreated' model and the original, with the noted quantitative difference and qualitative differences. Just to note I have the several models embraced here.

The 'old' and 'new' Winchester Model 1886 rifles, with the obvious external difference noted. Yet the new one just one sub-model of a substantial variety, in various chamberings. My several specimens, in .33 Winchester and that chambering something of the 'poor man's' '86 of perhaps less color and interst than many earlier chamberings, especially the 45-70 popularity and of which the 'new Win' is chambered. Yet, for me, holding/owning/shooting a true vintage model; such a different experience than that of current breed. Qualitative differences, but material. Also in retaining value. Paying more for a vintage '86 in shooting condition, but holding value often far better.
The 'other', unmentioned is the Browning 1886 reproduction models. The octagon barrel rifle and the shorter, round barrel carbine. Externally true to vintage, rebounding hammer the compromise to modernity and liability laws. For me a positive. The combo of 'looks original' and lesser pricing of a 'repro'.

I'd vote first for the originals. Mine two "Extra Lightweight Rifle" models, one solid frame and one take-down. The other 24" barrel full mag and just neat looking to my eyes. Appreciating all several of them, though admittedly purchased in decades of yore very reasonably! Second would be my Browning full mag carbine. Just now not recalling the exact barrel length, probably 20" and that a good compromise with current factory ammo, any shorter something of a flamethrower concurrently. My Winchester, converging of stars. Funds, sale, 'there'! Nice gun, but... as noted, the tang safety not my favorite feature. Just a step up from crossbolt! Ownership not regretted at all. Put 'priorities' and price-points, opposites.
I believe the Brownings a good balance between price and originality, the latter in terms of faithful presentation.

Just for the record and...
Just my take

Return to Winchester Model 1886