Rare model 1886 "short rifle"?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:52 am
So I've got this old winchester model 1886 in 45-70 govt with a crescent stock, full length tube, and an octagonal 20 inch barrel that does not appear to be cut down. I took the rifle to a guy who was big on winchester rifle collecting and we dated it to the year 1889. He also told me that with that barrel configuration and length, it could be one of a limited run of "short rifles" that only about 400 were ever made of. Has anyone ever seen/heard of these before? I'm just trying to soak up all the information I can about this handsome old rifle and I figured this would be a good place to try.
20g
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:02 am
Hello Sinnett45! Welcome to the herd.

Try this listing:

http://chuckhawks.com/winchester_1886_rifle.htm
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:00 am
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the NEW MEMBER WELCOME AREA...

Read all the rules here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21

Enjoy the forum.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:36 am
The Cody museum will send you a letter with factory information on your rifle. That will legitimize or deny its configuration. Cost is minimal..about $70.

A rep of the museum will be at the reno show this week and will look up your serial number for $5

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:40 am
XLIV wrote:The Cody museum will send you a letter with factory information on your rifle. That will legitimize or deny its configuration. Cost is minimal..about $70.

A rep of the museum will be at the reno show this week and will look up your serial number for $5

The Cody work sheet on your rifle is worth the time! Right or wrong it's a really good start!!! Ol Deuce

PS.... not all the info they give is correct ........ :o
Do The Best With What You Have!!!!

Return to Winchester Model 1886