Current production m92... Anyone?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:08 pm
OK... So I recently acquired a claimed never fired m94 BB in 375 Win and I LOVE it...

But, my desire for more lever rifles has merely been aroused, without bedding her back down again.

I am particularly interested in another lever rifle chambered in 44mag. For the longest time I had settled on a Henry Big Boy. I have family that have a couple Golden Boy 22's and my father has a Brass Henry 30-30. They are are very nice rifles, only drawback is they are pretty heavy for a lever rifle.. which in my opinion is one of the main benefits of the lever rifle..

But we aren't talking about Henry's today, as much as I still like them..

What I have a new found obsession with is a new Win m92 Short Rifle in 44 mag. I have never handled/cycled/fired a 92 but I keep hearing how silky smooth they are. It's everything I want in a pistol chambered rifle, 20"bbl, lighter weight, and the classic smooth lines in fit and finish that the Henry doesn't quite measure up to (in my opinion). I love the classic looks of the crescent butt-plate and I slightly favor the receiver mounted loading gate over the removable follower tube the Henry employs. (again, a matter of personal opinion)

I know all the collectors reasons that the Miroku manufactured current production Winchester lever rifles may not be desirable.. This does not concern me. I intend to use this rifle, not box it in under glass for a long term investment... Thus would be a shooter... a well cared for shooter, but a shooter.

I am ONLY interested in 44mag, and for several reasons that are not up for debate... at least at this time and in this thread.

I would like to hear from people who own or at least have handled or fired a Miroku m92. The Japanese know how to manufacture, that is no secret.. I give you Honda motorcycles and ATV's as one shining example.

I see they can be had on GB for about a G-note. Looking at pics, I think it is acceptable and on par compared to a Henry and the price point they average at.

But I have not laid hands on one...

Any reason I should not pursue a new m92?? Talk me out of it if you can.

Thank you in advance for any input. :)
20g
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:00 pm
Not familiar with the Japanese 92. The link below has some forum input. If this is the same as you are discussing.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... chester-92
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:58 am
Hi Ride Red, Wayne here.

I can't help you with the M92 either but I did consider it recently. Instead, I bought a Marlin model 1894 in 45LC. It's a JM stamped Marlin made in 1977. I got it on GB last week. Cost me a grand. I don't have it yet. He too claims its unfired. It looks New. You talk about heavy? This has the 26 inch octagon barrel. The main reason I got it is because it's the same cartridge I reload and shoot in my Ruger Vaquero (pictured here under Ruger). You may want to look at a older JM stamped Marlin 1894 short barrel in 44mag. Just a though. I'll post a picture of my Marlin when I get it. Happy hunting.
Wayne
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:53 pm
Same here...can't really add anything about the Japanese M92.

I do own a Model 1894 top eject chambered in .30WCF circa 1977 that is a favorite whitetail collector of mine...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:29 pm
Thanks guys.

The main reason I want a 44mag is I have a pair of Smith revolvers in that caliber and am already well equipped to make my own ammo. Plus I'm a 44mag fan as well. Love the cartridge. Not trying to pick a fight with 45 Colt fans, just haven't gotten into it just yet. ;)

Thanks for the link RedRyder. This is one of 4 firearms forums I belong to, haven't joined castboolits yet.. But I'll check out that thread. Thanks. :)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:35 pm
Good thread.. Nary a bad word spoken about the Miroku m92's by people who own them.

Kind of confirms my suspicion.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:50 am
I recently acquired a Miroku '92 saddle ring carbine in 44-40. It's a beautiful little rifle, and an exact duplicate of an original I have - except for the rebounding firing pin and tang safety. The wood is plain but very well fitted and attractively finished. Metal polish and bluing is excellent. However, there was one issue with it - the extractor was way too "strong". It took an extreme amount of force to close the bolt due to the effort required to cam the ejector over the cartridge rim.

I called the Winchester service department and they had me return the rifle to them for examination. I received it back a couple of days ago, and they fixed the problem - very slick now. I've mounted a Marbles tang peep sight and am headed to the range to play with it today. :D
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:39 pm
GLaxton wrote:I recently acquired a Miroku '92 saddle ring carbine in 44-40. It's a beautiful little rifle, and an exact duplicate of an original I have - except for the rebounding firing pin and tang safety. The wood is plain but very well fitted and attractively finished. Metal polish and bluing is excellent. However, there was one issue with it - the extractor was way too "strong". It took an extreme amount of force to close the bolt due to the effort required to cam the ejector over the cartridge rim.

I called the Winchester service department and they had me return the rifle to them for examination. I received it back a couple of days ago, and they fixed the problem - very slick now. I've mounted a Marbles tang peep sight and am headed to the range to play with it today. :D

Very good!!

Thank you for that input. Exactly what I am seeking. :)

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:26 am
After taking it to the range, I can say the rifle shoots very well. While it will never be as slick as a '73, it is much more lightweight and compact. All-in-all, I'm very pleased with it.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:23 pm
Signed up to reply to this. I own two current production Winchester 1892 short rifles in .44 mag....identical guns. I mostly shoot full powered loads of H110 and W296 jacketed ammo through 'em.

I really enjoy these rifles. The fit and finish is quite good.
The only drawback is, the rebounding hammer system makes the initial cycle of the gun pretty stiff, but either it's smoothing out and becoming easier to cycle over time or I am getting stronger, lol.
I put lithium grease on the locking lugs, bolt rails, and all surfaces you should normally oil and it seems to help.

The guns are very smooth but also tight. Once the hammer is cocked, the action is very sweet to cycle. My girlfriend can shoot this gun no problem, though she occasionally trips the tang safety into the SAFE position so she'll get a click instead of a bang. I have never had this issue. Through both rifles (one was purchased used) I have about 250 trouble free rounds each, mostly reloads.
My first one, I bought two boxes of Sellier and Bellot 240 gr JSP to run through it but the gun wouldn't cycle them. My neighbour put a crimp on the case and then they fed fine. Go figure.

I am hoping that the long term durability of these guns is good and that parts availability will never be an issue. I'd hate to break a part on a thousand dollar gun and have it become a paperweight.

I have seen videos of people shooting Rossi models, and the fit and finish doesn't look as good. Some seem to come with problems out of the box, missing parts, etc. But the Rossi rifles seem to have lighter to cycle actions (less actuation to cock the hammer) and can be slicked up easier through use or an action job. The downside is some look to be quite sloppy and ill-fitted and the Winchesters are like mirrors and very well put together. The Winchester feels very smooth to cycle if it's against the shoulder, but if you work the lever extremely gingerly/lightly, it won't have enough force to overcome the stiff hammer.

I haven't benched either gun because I am not an accurate shooter anyways. I mostly shoot reactive targets (steel, water bottles, bowling pins, fruit/veggies) and it's one of the most fun guns I own.
I also have a Marlin 1894 Cowboy in .357 which is a blast.

I don't shoot cowboy action, just a casual shooter and have deviated from handguns into levers recently.
Hope this helps.
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:55 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum Lazarus !!

Thanks for the input...
20g
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:50 pm
Hello Lazarus! Glad you came onboard.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:14 am
Hi guys,
thank you so much for the warm welcome! :)
I have a blast with these rifles. I have never even handled a lever gun before July of 2014. After being a gun owner since 2005 and starting with pistols, my latest gun interest seems to be lever guns. I own semi-auto pistols and rifles, bolt actions, pump action shotguns, but nothing is more fun than a lever gun, I have found. It's the same feeling I get when I shift my gears in my car.

Any time I go shooting now, one of my Winchester 92s has to come with me. Just too much fun. They're definitely not cheap rifles and I don't drop them in the dirt or try to run them unnecessarily hard, but I do not keep 'em in the safe either.
Even when not shooting, the walnut stock and especially the rich bluing is just phenomenal.

Here is a photo of one of my Winchesters I took a while back

If anybody here wants any pictures or info about any particular part of the gun, please let me know and I'll do my best.
20g
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:34 am
I like it.....very nice wood. I prefer the short Winchesters over the long. Just my preference. SRC is my favorite.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:55 pm
Very nice Lazarus! I'm jealous :)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:02 pm
Awesome wood on that baby...very nice pic !!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:55 pm
I bought a New Winchester 1892 Short in 44 Mag approx. two months ago.
Love the rifle, it is smoothing out the more I cycle and shoot it. As far as the tang safety and the rebounding hammer. They are no problem, the safety is there if I wanted to use it (which I never do use it) and does not bother me or interfere if I don't want to use it. I don't ever even notice the safety when I am out shooting. The rebounding hammer has never once failed me yet. I bought the short rifle because I am only 5'5" tall and it fits my LOP just right.
Made better than the post 1964 Winchesters and fit and finish is perfect.

20g
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:07 pm
I have never owned or fired a '92. I like the profile it presents in the pic. Thanks for posting.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Return to Winchester Model 1892