Recommended Ammo - Model 1892 .357

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:01 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Have you thought about trying this from Hornady...?

http://www.hornady.com/store/357-Mag-14 ... evolution/

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:06 pm
The 1892 action is strong enough to handle any ammunition you can shoot through a Ruger revolver, and more than a S&W can handle on a routine basis. I don't have a .357 yet, but I do have 1892s in .44 Magnum and .45 Colt.

I reload using round-nose, flat-point bullets for smooth loading and feeding, without any danger of self-ignition in the magazine tube. Hard cast bullets from LaserCast (Oregon Trails) do not exhibit any leading at velocities up to 1800 fps (.44 M). I'm reluctant to load hot 45 Colt for fear one might find its way into my New Vaquero, but the '92 action would be up to the job.

I have used Keith type semi-wadcutters successfully, but it takes an extra jiggle of the lever at times (too much to tolerate) to get them to feed into the chamber. Truncated cone bullets without a stepped rifling band should work well too.

Return to Winchester Model 1892