1892 in 44 magnum question

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:36 pm
I have a Winchester 1892 that was handed down to me about 22 years ago when my dad past away. I have had no need or real desire to shoot it. So it has been setting in my gun safe with the rest of my guns. Occasionally being taken out to cycle the action, clean and oil again. Then put back in the safe again.

The history of the rifle is that it was manufactured in 1918 as an unknown caliber. Sometime in the early 60's it was re-chambered to a 44 magnum by Al Huff in Columbus Ohio. My father purchased it for my mother to hunt deer with over in Pennsylvania through the mid 70's. It sat in my fathers gun case for the next 20 years until his passing in the mid 90's. Then it was passed on to me as I mentioned above.

So my question is this. Can the Winchester 1892 action hold up to the 44 magnum pressure and recoil. I know it was re-chambered years ago and has been shot. So at the time the gunsmith must have thought so. I just want to make sure before I took it out to shoot it, it would be safe. Ohio recently started allowing straight walled cartridges to be used in rifles to hunt deer. I wanted to bring the ole girl back to life and take it out in the woods next year deer hunting. If it can't or it's borderline, it's not really going to hurt my feelings to much. I have many others I can use. It will just go back in the safe along with all the good memories it has.

Jim
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:53 am
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the Forum !!

As with any older rifle...a competent gunsmith should check the status before firing...your very life may depend on this outcome.
Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:09 pm
Shooter13, I agree that having a gunsmith check out the older guns or any gun in question is a good idea. This rifle has been checked out and is in good working order. My question is more around the durability of the original 1892 rifles. I know Winchester currently makes the 1892 in .357, .44 magnum and 45 Long Colt and I am sure the actions are built to handle those calibers. Is the older actions strong enough to handle the pressures of the modern .44 magnum round. Or is it a better option to only shoot the .44 Special rounds out of it just to be safe.

Thanks for the welcome and I have followed your advice on introducing myself in the new member section.

Jim
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:19 pm
Well, since the 44mag wasnt introduced until the 1950's I would look a little more into your chambering. 44-40 perhaps? The two are not the same. I just got my first 44-40 and shoot low pressure cowboy action cartridges in it. Heck just sell it to me so i have two.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:26 pm
Sorry XLIV, it's not going any where. I have been trying to find out what caliber it was originally manufactured in, but with no luck. I may end up paying for a history from Winchester if it is available. It does have "44 MAG" stamped on the barrel by the receiver. So I am pretty sure that the current caliber is correct.

Thomas Jefferson

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:35 pm
Well that makes it 'cool'

Sounds likeva great deer rifle. I hunt deer with a 44mag as well (Ruger) they are great brush guns. You got a great little rifle there.

Tell us about your 47..is it in original condition?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:46 pm
Here are some pictures of the 47. It is original as far as I can tell. Even right down to the water mark on the butt of the stock where it was probably set down in the snow at one time. This was also passed down from my father. It still shoots well and I take it out from time to time to fire a few rounds through it.

Jim
Attachments
Winchester 47_2.jpg
Winchester 47_2.jpg (36.12 KiB) Viewed 11805 times
Winchester 47_1.jpg
Winchester 47_1.jpg (68.56 KiB) Viewed 11805 times

Thomas Jefferson
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:14 pm
If it says .44 Magnum...and is in good condition as you report, I don't see why not Jim.

Report back that you still have all your digits... 8-)
20g
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:21 pm
Hello Jim......welcome to the herd.

Nice rifle. Family hand-me-downs are my favorite kind of weapons of any kind.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:47 pm
Dang nice 47.. Never met one i didnt like. Its jus like a single shot model 69a. The sling swivels arent original otherwise its good as new

Return to Winchester Model 1892