Which 1892

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:25 am
Hi y'all , I am new here and looking for some opinions on the 1892 . I am getting this rifle to use walking around my property , I have 120 acres . I will mainly be using it as a plinking toy , but I do jump some deer pretty often and I never know when I might see a coyote .

I choose the 1892 over the 73 for it's weight and strength . I am going to get the Miroku Winchester .

Now my questions ?

Do you like the carbine or the short rifle better ?
Which caliber , 44/40 or .45Colt ?

It looks like to me the carbine would be easier to shoulder because of the buttplate .

I already reload 45Colt , but I don't mind getting another set of dies and I have heard that 44/40 was a little harder to reload for some people . I also heard more than a few people say they get blow by with the straight wall 45 cases . I don't know if this is a problem with the Winchester or if it's with the other brands .

Let me hear your first hand experience and opinion before I buy .

Thanks

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:48 am
I have one in .44 Magnum. It is the carbine model as I could not tolerate the recoil of the model with the crescent recoil butt plate. As to caliber, I can find .44 Magnum ammunition anywhere ammunition is sold. When I see .44-40 ammunition, which is a rare occurrence, it is expensive. The .45 Colt is a crackerjack cartridge which I really enjoy in my SAA but I have no experience with it in a Winchester 1892.

The carbine is a joy to carry and shoot. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:27 am
Marshall Dillon wrote:Hi y'all , I am new here and looking for some opinions on the 1892 . I am getting this rifle to use walking around my property , I have 120 acres . I will mainly be using it as a plinking toy , but I do jump some deer pretty often and I never know when I might see a coyote .

I choose the 1892 over the 73 for it's weight and strength . I am going to get the Miroku Winchester .

Now my questions ?

Do you like the carbine or the short rifle better ?
Which caliber , 44/40 or .45Colt ?

It looks like to me the carbine would be easier to shoulder because of the buttplate .

I already reload 45Colt , but I don't mind getting another set of dies and I have heard that 44/40 was a little harder to reload for some people . I also heard more than a few people say they get blow by with the straight wall 45 cases . I don't know if this is a problem with the Winchester or if it's with the other brands .

Let me hear your first hand experience and opinion before I buy .

Thanks
When paired with a .45 Colt wheel gun, you have both short range and up to 100 yard kill abilities. The benefit is only having to deal with one readily available cartridge for both guns. That would be the way I would go.

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:23 am
I got a Short Rifle in 45 lc last week. I shot a few 250 gr XTPs with 6.5 grs of Unique and got some blow-by, but I blamed it on the low pressure load. I've shouldered someone else's carbine, and this one is not as easy to shoulder...but it's so nice to look at!
20g
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:20 am
Nice to get hold of a new rifle.

I have a 1928 Winchester '94 SRC 30 WCF that recoils like a cannon. How's the recoil from your short .45LC? Probably much less than my '94.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:29 am
This was a very light load. It felt like it was lobbing the bullets; comparable to a .22, but heavier and less sharp (if that makes any sense). Next time out I'll try some heavier loads and I'll try to report.

Return to Winchester Model 1892