Screw hole fill

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:43 am
Does anyone know the approximate cost to fill in screw holes from previous scope mounts? I have a '68 model 94 that has multiple holes.

I would like them to be welded (TIG?) permanently.

Any recommendations on anyone that does thIs work? This is by no means a collector gun. I just want the holes filled.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:19 pm
You would want a gunsmith to do this for you. I would expect to pay an hourly rate since welding is typically charged by the inch which wouldn't be practical in this case.

In thinking about it, I would probably use a suitable screw to fill the hole instead of welding. You could take it one step further by removing the screw head and blending it in. I think it might be less noticeable in the end.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:23 am
Ditto, take it to a gun shop ask them to install filler screws with locktite ane file the screw slots flush. A little cold blue touch up and it wont cost arm and leg

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:41 pm
Dennis Olsen in Plains, Montana did some on my pre-war M 70. There were 5 holes, one of which was in the "r" in Winchester can't see the welds and the "r" is complete! This was done in conjunction with metal work to and bluing the the Montana barrel cost was about $ 500 for all several years ago
Too old to be nice, never too old to learn!

Return to Winchester Model 1894