Concerns on this WWII 1894

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:26 am
I recently purchased a Model 1894 from gunbroker and have some concerns. I was hoping some of you guys in the know can help me out.

Serial # is 1294813
Estimated DOM: 1943 (1943-1947/48)

My question is, looking at the foregrip ring, it's silver in color, while everything else is black. Is that normal or is that a sign that the ring has been replaced?

Also, front sight. Is that the sight that came on this rifle or does that look like it's been replaced as well? Thank you all for any help and info you can provide. If you see anything else let me know.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:06 pm
Magoo3333 wrote:I recently purchased a Model 1894 from gunbroker and have some concerns. I was hoping some of you guys in the know can help me out.
Serial # is 1294813
Estimated DOM: 1943 (1943-1947/48)

My question is, looking at the foregrip ring, it's silver in color, while everything else is black. Is that normal or is that a sign that the ring has been replaced? Also, front sight. Is that the sight that came on this rifle or does that look like it's been replaced as well? Thank you all for any help and info you can provide. If you see anything else let me know.

Magoo3333...........what i see is all correct and the the front sight is just missing the hood ! On the back band the bluing flaked off ! you could go for a cosmetic fix! get some masking tape and mask off the the band from the wood & barrel. scuff the band with steel wool and cold blue it ... or take the time and Remove the
band and cold blue it! Your '94 would be a great shooter!!! Ol Deuce
Do The Best With What You Have!!!!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:31 pm
Thanks Ol Deuce! Great news. When looking for a sight hood, did they vary by gemeration or are they all the same? Should I be looking for a ww2 Era hood?
Also, barrel is stamped as it left the US and then returned. Why would that be? Does that mean it was used for military?
20g
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:42 pm
Are you seeing an import mark (By Back)? If so, what does it indicate?

A lot of Country's military and their police used lease/loan '94s.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:13 pm
Magoo3333 wrote:Thanks Ol Deuce! Great news. When looking for a sight hood, did they vary by gemeration or are they all the same? Should I be looking for a ww2 Era hood?
Also, barrel is stamped as it left the US and then returned. Why would that be? Does that mean it was used for military?

Magoo..........I would say it was just what happened war time and clean-up ! re-working war surplus parts!!!
no big deal in price/value.....Winchester '94 ...that's all that counts! Your's is just different than most ;)

Ol Deuce

all the post 1936 to 1963 '94 hoods should work fine!

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:23 pm
redryder wrote:Are you seeing an import mark (By Back)? If so, what does it indicate?

A lot of Country's military and their police used lease/loan '94s.

Redrider................Most all of the Montana HighWay Patrol where issued a Model '94 up until the AR took over!! and I believe Montana Fish & Game had the same issue!!! Kinda kool :roll:

Ol Deuce
20g
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:09 pm
Yes Sir, some prisons used the '94. This model filled many roles down the lineage. However, I have never seen a 94 thus used for sale.

I have a Louisiana Angola prison 1941 Winchester 97 shotgun. The prison used 94s also. Heard a rumor about many of the shotguns being destroyed to keep them off the streets. My research received no hits toward this rumor. I suspect some went home with employees.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:31 pm
redryder wrote:Yes Sir, some prisons used the '94. This model filled many roles down the lineage. However, I have never seen a 94 thus used for sale.

I have a Louisiana Angola prison 1941 Winchester 97 shotgun. The prison used 94s also. Heard a rumor about many of the shotguns being destroyed to keep them off the streets. My research received no hits toward this rumor. I suspect some went home with employees.

Like in Montana the officers had the chance of buying these guns from the state and some were given as thank you for the service when they retired !!! Cody might have information on the service Winchesters !
may be a good place to ask the question!! its all under new help with way more information than what
Madis had..............

Ol Deuce

Return to Winchester Model 1894