Win 1894 TD...opinions required

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:26 am
Picked up a 1894 in 25-35, takedown but with a 94 marked ELW pencil half mag barrel at a local gun show.

YA, I know, worst case scenario is that its a parts gun, that's what I paid for it. Dealer didn't know it was a mismatch and was upset. But, when I went back to his table about 2 hours later and asked about the gun, he gave me a good price, "To get it out of here!"

Here's the info on it:

1894 Receiver, dated to 1902

Barrel is a 94 marked 25-35, ELW pencil barrel, 24 inches long with a half mag and 1893 dated takedown lever. The top of the barrel is marked with the WP in an oval.

The underside of the barrel is marked 25-35, then a V with what could be a 3 over the top of it, not sure, No VP marking with oval, then 36, which I believe is the year, then another letter or number that just sticks out a little from under the takedown shoulder.

It could be a rebarrel at the factory, just not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are some pics.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:40 am
Welcome to the forum...

Looked in a few of my books...nothing found that would help you on this beauty.

Have you tried contacting Winchester Customer Support...?

http://www.winchester.com/Customer-Supp ... ct-Us.aspx
Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:59 pm
Date of receiver is 1920, not 1902 like my fat fingers typed.
No, not yet.
Will be trying it out with some 86 gr cast GC bullets and some 117 Hornadys tomorrow. Slugged throat and muzzle and there is .0007 looser at the muzzle. Takes full thumb pressure to push in the cast bullet I used at the throat a 1/8 inch into the muzzle if the rifling is lined up. A brass rod to get it back out. That is when I slugged the muzzle. Should be okay for plinking and maybe deer hunting.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:16 am
Let us know how you make out at the range...

Return to Winchester Model 1894