Post 64 stock options

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:08 pm
So I picked up a model 94ae Ranger. I never realized there was a economy version made. It wasn’t what I was really wanting . I wanted a nice walnut one but this gun looks like it just came out of the box. I wore the blueing off the hammer playing with it. Getting the action to loosen up some and I got a deal so I brought her home.but I hate the hardwood stock .My intentions are to add a walnut stock and get rid of that awful cross bolt safety and use the half cock instead. There’s not many options for post 64 stocks new . I found a couple places that sell them I just wanted to see if anyone ever bought from these places and see how there stocks were quality wise.brownells has them and then I found one called cottage craft works but it says there stock are oversized for a generic fit to fit several guns.does anyone know of anywhere else that sells them?i don’t want the Boyd’s pistol grip.

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:32 pm
It's unfortunate that there is so little traffic on this website :-(. There's a definite need for some revitalization!!

I don't exactly know what you mean with your statement "I wanted a nice walnut one but this gun looks like it just came out of the box." ?? That's kinda what we all look for in a used firearm! Not so sure of the wisdom in your plan to "get rid of that awful cross bolt safety and use the half cock instead." Perhaps you should just "flip" this rifle and continue the search for what you want. Just sayin'.

Anyway, it's been nearly 2 years since you posted, so I hope that you've made some progress with your situation. If not though, I can comment on the stock that I purchased from Brownells for my Winchester model 1897 shotgun. I'll start by saying that my restoration project has been in stasis for a bit (perhaps like your 94ae Ranger project). The stock from Brownells is made for the '97 but it's fairly generic in that it's over-sized and will need to filed and sanded where the wrist marries up to the rear of the action but that's preferable to being "under-sized. The stock is walnut and seems to be defect free. I believe that it will finish up nicely. I would be hesitant to purchase a stock advertised as "generic fit to fit several guns". I wouldn't want to have to do too much modification where the stock fits into the action.

Replacement stocks are at least $50 prolly more after S&H. There will definitely be some labor on your part to make it look good. Unless you got a REALLY good deal on this rifle, I'd consider "flipping" it and continue the search.
Sleeper
20g
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:53 pm
Hi ya sleeper, welcome back.

This forum suffered dearly a couple of years past. Has not recovered. Myself, bob lewis and 28 gauge are the only active posters.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Return to Winchester Model 1894