1968 trapper?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:04 pm
I have a model 94 serial number 3149XXX. It has a 16 inch barrel and no saddle ring and it has a metal butt plate. It appears to be factory. Did they make 16 inch barrel model 94s in 1968? or is this just good gunsmithing. Thanks,Chuck

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:26 pm
Not an expert here! I don't believe such a Win lever rifle was made with 16" barrel in sixties era. I was vaguely interested in such a rifle for some decades. The first 'modern era', available to my knowledge in the limited edition "Legendary Lawman" of latter seventies. Not particularly a limited edition fan of such by any name, but I have one of these purchased since I hadn't seen any 16" style available in postwar decades prior. (Such absent 'other-brand Marlin Marauder 16" - great rifle!) Afterward, under USRA in early eighties, such rifle produced and I'm with a couple of these. Could there have been such in 1968; possibly under my radar. But I think unlikely.
In '68, both 'war warnings' of forthcoming '68 Federal Gun Control Act on agenda and until actually enacted, industry uncertainty. The 16" barrel, perhaps concern for prohibition. Maybe such with effect. Bigger problems, Winchester firm just pulling out of the "Post '64 debacle in terms of 'acceptable guns'. '68 seeming rounding the corner (at least on the Model 70 within my specific knowledge). Yet seeming doubtful leaping into such model 94 , 16", of questionable 'field-sporting' interest. Noting here, I'm speaking of probabilities, not certainty. For me, the net, net... No such as Trapper then.

Just the further gratuitous observation that if you have a nice one, likely a win-win. Not for originality of course, but for perhaps a refinish concurrent or other fringe benefits of correcting some of the small factory 'outstanding problems', many aesthetic in years '64 through '67. If factory originality important, check into one of those early eighties era Winchesters under USRA, actually named "Trapper", in 16" and Pretty nice rifles, without the 'wrap' of those mid sixties vintages. Final thought, considering not much collector interest in Win's of your era, likely the 16" barrel adding to general interest/value beyond originality.
I'd be interested in your observations, thoughts and comments regarding your rifle.
Just my take

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:01 pm
I don't know, but it looks factory,I don't see any tool marks or rough edges on the barrel or magazine tube. Another thing that strikes me as odd besides the barrel and steel butt plate is the blue on the receiver is very good,most I see from these years are brown or plum colored. I will try to post a picture later.Any more thoughts.Thanks,Chuck

Return to Winchester Model 1894