Ted Williams 1894 30-30

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:46 pm
I recently acquired a Ted Williams 30-30, which is basically a renamed Winchester 1894. Is there a way to get a ballpark of the year it was made? Also, is there any difference between a Ted Williams 1894 and a WINCHESTER 1894? I'm thinking in terms of quality. The wood on it appears (to me) to be walnut, which I figured would be the first sacrifice made if Winchester was going to save a few bucks in production.

Any help is appreciated.

Boggs

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:34 pm
Sears marketed the Ted Williams Model 100 during the post-64 era and prior to the push button safety. They were independently serial numbered, and unfortunately Sears didn't maintain records on them. The stocks were walnut and the gun is of very good quality. They were made by Winchester and are very similar to the Model 94 - the most obvious difference being the Sears gun has a forestock end cap made of metal rather than a forend band. I have two of them and they are very good shooters and both have a smooth action. While not as collectable as the 94s, there were many fewer made and I think they will appreciate in value. They can still be found at bargain prices, and the wise collector would be wise to consider adding one (or two) to their collection (My opinion).
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:46 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum gentlemen !!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:57 pm
Thanks for the information. I'm more up on Marlins, but a few friends growing up loved their Winchesters. I've wanted an 1894 for ahwile and came across the Ted Williams model. I figured I'd save a couple hundred bucks and get something that shot just as well. I can't wait to install a peep sight and see what kind of groups I can get out of it.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:42 pm
The one I have, seems to be a model 94 in every respect excepting the name on the barrel. The wood, while walnut, does seem to be kind of plain compared to some.
The sights are better than I have seen on some of the production Winnies.
Good shooters!
Larry

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:19 pm
I was walking into a pawn shop here one day just in time to hear a girl dropping a few "F bombs" at an employee who was apparently not being very nice to her, as is par for the course with this place. I noticed she had a rifle in her hand as she stormed out. I turned around and followed her. I asked her what she had and what she was asking for it. She said it was a "Jed Williams" rifle that belonged to her father before he passed. The pawn shop offered her $30 for it. She said she had to get $60. I gladly paid her and she went on her way.
I had no idea what this thing was, I had never owned a lever gun before but gave my buddy a call. He laughed out loud when I told him what she said it was. He said "you mean TED Williams"? Long story short, it's a great gun. Cycles great and keeps a nice tight grouping. I would not hesitate to buy another one, even I I did have to pay more than $60 for it ; )

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.511741,-84.389686

Return to Winchester Model 1894