Sight Height

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:48 am
I have a Model 70, G1144*** (1973) chambered in 30-06 with the standard sporter barrel. I purchased this rifle without a front or rear sight. I've shot many rounds through it as this is my cast bullet rifle. I have a desire to purchase a front & rear sight for it & load jacketed rounds of 150 to 180 grains to use with the open sights. Can someone school me on the sights required? Are all the rear sight of the same height & adjustment or do I need a certain rear sight for the 06 cartridge? The same question concerning the front sight?? Is there a certain height I need? Thanks guys. My search results have not answered these questions so I bring them here in hope.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:55 pm
If your rifle has the drilled and tapped holes where iron sights were mounted when new, you may be able to find used factory replacement sights on EBay. Or, if you want to go first class and expensive, you could send the rifle to New England Custom Guns and have express sights of your choice fitted and sighted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:07 pm
sw0596 wrote:If your rifle has the drilled and tapped holes where iron sights were mounted when new

The rifle came from the factory with a front sight but wasn't with the rifle when I purchased it used. There are plenty of Winchester replacement front sights available but I need to know the correct height as there are several height options. I was hoping someone had a 70 Winchester in 30-06 who could measure the front sight height for me.

Return to Winchester Model 70