Why choose a model 70 ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:56 am
Winchester Model 70 Wins Shooting Times Shootout.
Shooting Times magazine names the Winchester Model 70 Sporter as the Overall Winner in its Bolt-Action Rifle Shootout.

By now we all know the legendary Winchester Model 70 is regarded around the globe as the Rifleman’s Rifle. In a recent test against several of the most popular bolt-action rifles in America, the editors of Shooting Times came to the very same conclusion.

In their September 2012 issue, Shooting Times editors Joseph Von Benedikt and Joel J. Hutchcroft compared the Browning X-Bolt Hunter, CZ-USA Model 550 American, Remington 700 BDL, Ruger M77 Hawkeye, Savage 114 American against the Winchester Model 70 Sporter for price, reliability, accuracy, ergonomics and trigger feel.

The testers found the American made Winchester Model 70 “…ran with boring predictability. We experienced no issues whatsoever with loading, feeding, extracting or ejecting.” They “…quickly came to prefer…the classic design, good checkering pattern and connected feel…” of the Model 70’s walnut stock, and commented favorably on the feel of the fully adjustable MOA three lever trigger.

After 9½ uninterrupted hours on the shooting bench, both testers concluded they preferred the Model 70 above all the others. “Why? Not only did it perform flawlessly in the accuracy, reliability and ergonomics categories, but it just felt so good in handling. It shouldered easily, pointed naturally, and functioned smoothly and cleanly. It made us want to shoot it, even after hundreds of rounds of full-bore .270 ammo.”

The tester’s official summary found “With excellent accuracy and top marks in every other category, the Rifleman’s Rifle of yore is both the oldest model and the surprising high scorer of our 2012 big game rifle shootout. It will get the job done on anything, anywhere.”

The Winchester Model 70: The Rifleman’s Rifle.
Administrator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:46 am
Thanks for sharing!

.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:43 pm
Yeah I read that test the 70s really shined, what made that test very interesting is that three of each rifle was used to get a true avarage of their accuracy and quality. The Savage barely squeezed out a win over the Winchester at the range but it's marginal detachable magazine, and less then stellar ergonomics cost it just enough points to give the Winchester the win. I own both and I have to agree. Remington was the big looser, I remember their average grouping was 2.33" at 100yards far and away the worst of the bunch, I have been telling people for a few years now that Remington was going downhill fast, I used to work for CCM I know how they run a business....straight into the ground.
Only thing that I did not like about that test was they skipped some fantastic rifles (Weatherby, Howa, Sako, Kimber to name a few), I would have LOVED to see the Tikka thrown in with that bunch, I doubt it would win any points for style but HOT DOG can those things shoot!

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:41 pm
I have owned a number of the rifles you suggest (Kachok) and can tell you that my "investment" in them was a learning experience. In terms of range testing....it amazes me that Savage did that well! In fact I have a VERY rough time believing that. Of all of the Model 70 CURRENT competitors I rate the Weatherby by far the best. I finally sold my favorite Weatherby .257 Mark V Ultramark with a lovely tiger striped Claro Walnut stock as I got a smoking offer from LL Bean who had a customer that wanted the rifle I owned bad enough. The high varnish stock and overall weight was probably why I sold it. I have never owned a Kimber Super America. Unfortunately you have to order one and wait and wait.....Dakota Model 76 is a expensive custom rifle but at a price that makes the current model 70 Winchester look like a fantastic bargain!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:35 pm
I would infer that the Weatherby and Kimber were probably not included in this test due to price point. Usually when comparisons like this are done, they try to compare rifles that are of a comparable price point. I am not sure where Tikka and the others mentioned as curiously absent would fit into that scenario as I am not nearly as familiar with those brands...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:36 am
I've been a Model 70 fan for a long, long time. At one time they were the only rifles I'd consider buying. Unfortunately finances demand that I be much more conservative in my spending these days. That might change if I ever run across another Featherweight in 7x57mm Mauser. I mean, who needs to pay rent anyway....
20g
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:36 am
Hello Tarasdad, welcome to the Winchester forum.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:28 am
I have followed hunting rifles for nearly 70 years. I have looked at almost every bolt action rifle made. Unlike any test review based on a selection of ten rifles of about roughly the same price point
I have considered everyone. I have lived and worked where life depended on your ability to shoot. From Kilimanjaro’s to Dakota, To Sako, etc.. No rifle has impressed me more than the Winchester Model 70. I own only half a dozen now. I have also shot and hunted with Rugers, Savage, and some few have ever heard. I think I have owned at least twenty brands of rifles. When I was very young I thought a Westherby would be about right. I too have owned and shot a Mark Five UltraMark in .257 Weatherby Magnum. The first rifle I ever bought myself was a .222 Remington Model 700. I still own that and never will sell it. It is part of me.

But of all, even including the really superbly designed Browning X Bolt the Model 70 would still be my first choice. I love my Super Grades, but the Model 70 I think was the best ever is the Featherweight. It should be produced in .223 on thru to Elephant rifles. Not that I wouks shoot one of those. To me the crown of the Riflemans Rifle belongs to the the Winchester Model 70.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:41 am
Not all model 70s are created equal and not all worthy of being called the rifleman's rifle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:30 am
Mr 70 wrote:Not all model 70s are created equal and not all worthy of being called the rifleman's rifle

While it's true that there are some big differences in the model 70's they all still fall into that middle category of a good rifle for the average hunter. Are they stellar, no. And, you're right, the quality of the rifle does change depending on which rifle you choose but that's intentional I would think. I hunt in Northern Nevada so I chose the Featherweight in 30-06. Two reasons, one, it's the round that I trust them most when going after big Mule deer and two, it's light and I can pack it all day. There is one other reason, I love a wood stock. A wood stock shows it's age and how much it's used. That's something to be proud of. I had a Weatherby Laser Mark for years and it sat in the safe most of the time because I just didn't feel like it was appropriate for the areas I was hunting or the people that I was hunting with. Miss a shot with a 70 and you're just like the rest of the guy's. Miss a shot with a Weatherby and you're living with a lousy shot campfire story for life.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:21 pm
In 1948 Roy weatherby received 17 pre 64 model 70 super grade actions from Winchester the same year roy introduced the 7mm wby mag on a mesquite stocked South gate weatherby wonder what they would say around that camp fire if I missed lol wait I actually know that answer we should use timken roller bearing barrels ...... I'm a PROUD owner of doctor Russel c Smith model 70 and I've yet to see a weatherby even in the same Galaxy anyways welcome to the Winchester forum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:15 pm
I owned a Weatherby Mark V Ultra Mark .257 Weatherby Magnum. My brother, Kermit, still owns one. I have more than a few Model 70s. The Weatherby was a very expensive 26 inch barrel rifle! I sold it. For what you pay for them they are no better than a Model 70. I own the recent Model 70 Jack O’Connor Tribute Rifle in .270. I feel the Model 70 Featherweights being produced right now are excellent. I have on from 1942 that I hunted with in 1949. Most really successful hunters I know are using Model 70 s as their primary rifle!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:15 pm
I just got back from the range and shot sub MOA with the new 70. I shot one 4 round group, cleaned it and shot another 4. I was befuddled when I only saw two hits until I looked in the spotting scope and could see the edges of the other 2 in the same hole. I was using win x 150's for break in. If you're wondering, my Weatherby never shot that tight. I was using a lead sled since I was zeroing the rifle. I seriously doubt I can shoot that off hand. The upside of the lead sled is that I know what the rifle can do, the rest is up to me.

Shot my new to me 63 94-30-30 The previous owner put a peep sight on it and it was all messed up. It needs a little work so I'll do that this week and shoot it again. I have to, I can't keep blowing the legs off my target stand. LOL. Round nosed bullets are unmerciful to wood.

Picture is BLM land just behind my house. We don't join gun ranges around here.. LOLImage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:59 am
Today BLM has come to mean something different than the land behind your house! I prefer the old
BLM meaning! I think the Model 70is one of the single best rifle choices. Every gun dealer I visit,and that is a lot of them, rate the Model 70 as the Best Buy Rifle they know of and some do not even carry Model 70s. All say the quality in relation to price is excellent. Other brands are specifically always mentioned as NOT that good a deal. I like Browning X Bolts a lot! But Browning Medalion dealers rate Winchester Model 70s as having overall better quality. Never saw a Model 70 thatbwas not accurate. Comment on the Caldwell Lead Sled.I own a really good one. However there is still a bit of human variance there. And handheld? Most shooters are really pretty sketchy there! I am oretty good that and have taught it in the Military. But on any given day offhand shots are tough. Then throw in some Adrenalin and situations at any given moment? Still one if the best to put trust in is the Model 70. And I sure like some variants of that rifle better than others!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:50 pm
I have a 300 WSM X Bolt Hells Canyon Speed. Its every bit the quality of the Win 70 except that I'm not fond of composite stocks. A Boyd's laminate will fix that. I just bought a X bolt white gold medallion 7mm rem mag and it is gorgeous and every bit the quality of a super grade. I believe both companies are quality and in many cases better than some of the other high cost rifles.

Return to Winchester Model 70