Super Grade 7x57

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:43 am
Hello, first post here. I live in Upper Michigan, where there are no large gun stores, or much of anything for that matter, and lots of things need to be ordered in. Anyhow, I had been looking for one of the Super Grades in 7x57 for a while, checking on line, etc. Surprisingly, my small LGS was able to order one for 1500 out the door, which beat the online sights by a margin. I literally couldn't sleep waiting for it to come in. Anyhow, when I finally saw it, I was a bit disappointed. I expected a super polish on the steel, the cross bolt to be engraved instead of having the plug, and for it to at least to say "Super Grade" on the barrel. I had spent considerable time looking for a gloss scope to go with my gloss rifle, but when we looked at it in the store, a matte scope would actually match the blue better. The wood, however is very nice. I understand these were a limited run, but I guess I expected more polish on a 1500 dollar Super Grade. My late 80s XTR has a polished blue that blows this one away. Any thoughts, or am I being to picky?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:43 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum John !!

Please introduce yourself to our community in the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the Forum !!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:45 pm
BTW....I would expect more from a Super Grade at that price too !!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:33 pm
Thanks for the welcome. I did email Winchester with my concerns, and will let everyone know what the response is.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:58 am
Sounds like a plan John...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:22 pm
I talked to customer service and the tech departments, and was told that, based on serial number, the rifle was produced in 2013/14, and was built to Cabela's specifications, even though it's not marked Cabela's anywhere. It's a standard featherweight action (hence the lack of Supergrade polish) in a trimmed down Supergrade stock, hence the Lightweight and Supergrade designation. Dropping in the featherweight action mitigates the Supergrade stamping, apparently. Anyhow, I asked the number produced, and the tech couldn't tell me. He is supposed to email the info, so I hope that happens. Regardless, I am having it scoped, and am happy to have a 70 in 7x57.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:26 pm
Enjoy it! I also shoot a 7X57mm but it is a 43 year old Ruger M77 have been thinking about the Winchester 70 though. Do you Hand load?
Too old to be nice, never too old to learn!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:02 am
Congrats on the rifle. I've examined one of these at Cabelas and want one so bad. There are not many of them left now compared to when I got to see one about 16 months ago. I still want it but money is thin right now. I actually prefer the finish that is slightly more subdued compared to my Super Grade 30-06. Talking about a classic rifle and caliber! I'll bet if I walked into the woods with that in my hand I would imagine I was in Sonora or Yukon with Jack O'Connor or in Africa with Bell.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:40 pm
Thanks for the comments. Not surprisingly, Winchester never did get back to me on production numbers. Anyhow, got a Leupold 2-7x33 getting mounted, and looking at a 1" Montanna sling. Wanted a lower power yet, but the price goes up for some reason. Gonna be too nice for hunting! May have to use the Winchester 88 for brush running, and the 7mm for sitting. Any thoughts on a quality case. I always bought the cheap ones. Is Boyt over rated?

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:56 am
Boyt is sometime over priced but not over rated. Good zipper, stitching, saddle leather straps. As filson says, might as well have the best.

Return to Winchester Model 70