Scope base screw spacing question

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:45 pm
I recently got ahold of a M-70 in .30-06 and I need to put a scope on it (no worries about destroying the value of the gun - it's already been rebarreled and re-stocked). The gun was made in 1953.

In order to position the scope far enough forward, I need to put the rear ring ahead of the screws, so I'm looking at the Leupold offset bases and a picatinny rail.

The receiver has four factory holes in the top, which I understand applies to all M-70s between 1949 and 1964

When I go looking for bases, I get a lot of options in terms of what kind of action it is: wssm; short, long, DD RVF, etc. What I don't know is how to tell which one of these I should be buying for. Manufacturers are not particularly good at providing info (Leupold, makers of fine scopes, is the worst when it comes to describing their products online) so I come here for advice.

How do I know that the bases being advertised will have the correct screw spacing for my action?

Thanks

p.s. Recommendations for bases and rings also appreciated.
20g
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:20 am
I see several 70 owners come by. Could be there's an owner with a scoped 70 that can post advise.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:53 am
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Return to Winchester Model 70