Model 70 ultramatch .308

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:01 pm
I've been searching for more information about the Model 70 ultra match rifles but even in this day and internet age theirs very very little about this gun.

They made 2 for my father at the Winchester factory custom shop about 4 years apart. He called them "A" and "B" I know "A" was produced in 1973 by the custom shop even thou the serial number dictates 1972. It had a new barrel in 1979 after 6033 rounds because the accuracy started to go south. The new barrel has 7297 rounds threw it when he retired from high power shooting in 1991.

The second one "B" was made in 1976 and had 1755 rounds threw it but it needed a new barrel because it wouldn't shoot at 600 yards and he never even tried it at 1000. With the new barrel it had 517 rounds threw it when he sold it to a friend of mine.

I have 3 extra barrel blanks that Winchester gave my father when they were closing up the custom shop.

My main question is what is this "A" rifle worth now?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:15 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum...!!

Suggest going to action sites like Guns America and Gun Broker to look up the current going prices...

Location: The shoreline of Lake Erie before the Great Black Swamp was drained
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:24 pm
Pics!
Please post pics
I am one gun away from Happy

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:38 am
Thanks for the replies guys.

Ive been looking on the auction sites but haven't found one yet.

Heres a few pics....
Attachments
DSCF3024.JPG
DSCF3024.JPG (133.95 KiB) Viewed 7297 times
DSCF3023.JPG
DSCF3023.JPG (114.32 KiB) Viewed 7297 times
20g
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:16 am
Seeing family hand-me-downs make my day. Beautiful package.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:13 pm
Your rifle was within a ‘family’ of post 1963 Winchester target model rifles made between 1972 and 1980. Your specific model was cataloged during that entire period but was only available on special order. Ideally any involvement of the custom shop (from actual build to small work) hopefully is within your records; think “provenance”. Otherwise a necessary presumption of aftermarket work. The Target Match was within a couple of models which had externally adjustable triggers and also factory fitted with the very high profile Redfield International target aperture sight. A wild guess, this sight alone perhaps worth $200-$300, though diminishing market nowadays. Yet removing from the rifle a big net value hit, as in don’t!
Basic information on your specific models and a bit more, with illustrations, in Roger Rule’s book, ”The Rifleman’s Rifle”. This book is pricey, but possibly you could obtain one through Inter-library loan.
For valuation /sale purposes… The good news and the bad news the same. Limited production increases value. Post ’63 vintage with limited demand in those days and the same likely today. There is also the delicate matter of the Winchester Custom Shop work on the gun. Hopefully it’s documented. Otherwise, any discernible work presumptively ‘aftermarket’. Also depending on the nature and extent of any work, the value can take a definite hit if it caters too much to some kind of whim or is too exotic. I don’t see such negatives evident in you two photos.
For the best sale price(s) to be achieved, likely one of the big national gun brokerages/auction houses most desirable. There it has the best chance of reaching that desired limited audience and also the high buck bidders. Many folks apparently start their guns at a dollar without reserve and let the market be the judge. That hazard with yours in terms of one of those narrow category bidders not happening along during the auction period.
Personally, I think you have a couple of fine rifles. I’d be proud to own one. But also you have something more valuable in them, family heirlooms. I’d think hard before I sold those puppies!
My thanks for displaying them here and Good Luck!
All here…
Just my take.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:44 am
Thanks for the great info.

I don't think theirs any paperwork for the barrel change. My father knew a few of the guys at the custom shop and I don't think they even charged him. I know the extra barrel blanks were a gift when they were closing up.

It does still have the Redfield sights on there.

Return to Winchester Model 70