Model 70 Shadow and Super Shadow

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:37 pm
Looking at buying another Model 70 Im a big fan of the walnut stock models.. I've been researching both the synthetic stock models (Shadow and Super Shadow) in 7mm Rem. Mag. They are a little cheaper price wise than the walnut stock models. Anybody have any good/bad experiences with the synthetic models vs the walnut stock models?

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:50 pm
I prefer the wooden stocks..old fashioned I guess..

are you active military? Thanks for your service

20g
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:27 pm
My personal and subjective choice is wood. Walnut is my favorite stock wood. If I were a chronic hunter, synthetic would probably be in my inventory.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:17 am
XLIV wrote:I prefer the wooden stocks..old fashioned I guess..

are you active military? Thanks for your service

No Sir, Contract firefighter on the airbase assisting our troops along with other NATO troops here on Camp Marmal! Work both Crash and Structure but I do appreciate the thanks but I am just a civilian helping our guys a gals out over here!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:23 am
redryder wrote:My personal and subjective choice is wood. Walnut is my favorite stock wood. If I were a chronic hunter, synthetic would probably be in my inventory.

Yeah that is my first choice as well. I have had a couple of synthetic models and they were ok. Just hate dinging and banging up good walnut climbing treestands.
20g
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:30 am
My thanks as well. Our enemies abroad and at home do not care if we are military or civilian. You are ground support fist responder and therefore in harm's way.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:45 pm
redryder wrote:My thanks as well. Our enemies abroad and at home do not care if we are military or civilian. You are ground support fist responder and therefore in harm's way.

I greatly appreciate that Sir! Thanks for the well wishes!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:45 pm
I also prefer wood. But you have to understand that you're playing here to a collector influenced/oriented crowd. The objective answer is more likely what your expectations are and the environment(s) the rifle is likely to be subjected. One style relates to sterile efficiency; a tool. The other of some artistry tending toward beauty; a classic.
Just my take

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:31 pm
iskra wrote:I also prefer wood. But you have to understand that you're playing here to a collector influenced/oriented crowd. The objective answer is more likely what your expectations are and the environment(s) the rifle is likely to be subjected. One style relates to sterile efficiency; a tool. The other of some artistry tending toward beauty; a classic.
Just my take

And that is why this decision is so hard! I love the collectability of the older Model 70s and I love walnut stocks. BUT--I also use my guns and they a subjected to any and all conditions. I just refinished my 1963 Marlin 35 in December, it had been scratched up some climbing up and down tree stands and going through thickets and such. No afraid to put a ding in one, but then again the synthetic stock will be able to stand up to me and my rigors of the type hunting I do! Good point you made!!

Return to Winchester Model 70