Model 70 with 21" barrel?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:24 pm
Hello, I'm new to the forum. Anyhow I just recently bought an older model 70 chambered in 30-06 with serial 846XXXX, I haven't had it dates but I'm guessing it's early/mid 1970s. It has a 21 inch barrel which I found odd, I always thought it was only offered in 22,24 or 26 in barrels. Just wondered if I am wrong or if a previous owner may have had the barrel cut down. Thanks!

Nick
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (50.82 KiB) Viewed 4866 times
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:15 am
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the forum.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:16 am
Not sure about that odd barrel length....could you be mistaken on the measurement !?

I'll let other members weigh in...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:52 pm
As our Moderator, SHOOTER13, suggests, barrel measurement errors are fairly common. The proper way to measure most rifle barrels is: First confirm that the rifle is unloaded and safe. Then with such as a small dowel or cleaning rod of sufficient length, insert it into the muzzle end of the bore and allow it to gently come to rest on the bolt face. Make an index mark on the rod where it emerges from the barrel. Withdraw the rod and measure from the mark to the tip end that was inserted. That should give you the actual barrel length measurement. Such as a sixteenth plus/minus is normal.

Now to your rifle specifically, even if you used the common INCORRECT measurement on the barrel from muzzle to where it abuts the action, it should result in 21". I you might wish to remeasure and report back your findings; either confirming you did use the correct method or to use it and report the derived length measurement. If it is indeed 21" measured correctly, your presumption is right. Non-original.
Usually when someone reports an unusual barrel length on a common factory rifle, it's a measuring error. Yet also, depending on the specific rifle model, they will get measurements between .40 and .60 short. Your measurement doesn't fit that error pattern.

One last point. Other than perhaps removing a useful front sight, little harm as long as you can personally live with it. Little difference in velocity and accuracy. Some extra amount of muzzle flash and noise. Yet objectively not significant by most standards. Your rifle also hasn't achieved collectible status and where that could cause a negative hit. Personally if I liked the rifle, the barrel situation would be 'de nada'!

Let us know!
My take

Return to Winchester Model 70