Buying a Pre-64 Model 70

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:17 pm
Hey guys! I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I'am looking to buy my first hunting rifle and want some advice. :) I have done a lot of research on a lot of different guns. Never the less it seemed like every rifle I researched had its good points and its bad points; Except for one, The Pre-64 Winchester M70.

There wasn't anything negative I could find online about the Pre-64 M70. I went to my local gun shop and they happened to have a 1952 all original Winchester m70 in 30-06. It was in 'Shooter Condition' and they were asking $1100. I went over the whole rifle and it seemed to be in great shape. No rust anywhere that I saw, the stock was in great shape (except for dings and a few scratches; No splitting), the bore was clean, barrel looked great, the action was smooth etc. It looked great to me and felt better in my hands than any of the newer rifles I had handled.

Anyway, I want to ask you guys if this is a good buy or if it is over-priced. I also want to know if '52 was a good year and also if this is a good rifle for my first hunting rifle. It would be awesome and extremely helpful if you guys could respond. Thanks!

AKYetiMan

PS: If it would help I may be able to get pictures of the rifle on here. :)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:42 am
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the forum.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:44 am
Not really sure about the price you quoted...but maybe another member will know the going rate.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:25 pm
Hi AKYetiMan,

What’s my pre 1964 Winchester Model 70 worth? A common question. Just to make a very generalized answer here for self-assessment purposes.
The most common chamberings were 30-06 and 270 Winchester. The most commonly encountered vintages were post WWII. The most common models were the “Standard” from model entry in 1936 and “Lightweight” (intro in 1952) rifles, Three general recognized periods of manufacture: Prewar Transition – 1945-46/47 and Third Model 46/47 to 1963.
This analysis is for the most proliferant, the third model in Standard & Lightweight configurations in the common 30-06 and 270 Winchester chambering.
The positives in build quality, reliability, simplicity, strength, infrequent repairs required, current values, greater critical moment functional dependability than push feed models.
Negatives. Current pricing. Standard model a bit on heavy side. Newer vintage chamberings not available without modifications. Some with preference for push feed system. Likely not as accurate as some push feed models. Fact that some expertise to distinguish collector from shooter grade. Occasionally minor parts sourcing problems
1. Recoil pads. The irony. A good, a decent pad measurably adding to shooting comfort for many folks. The bad, presumptively non-original and moving the rifle from collectible to shooter grade.

2. Extra holes in receiver. Almost never affecting the actual performance of the rifle and actually uncommon. That said, a big value hit when encountered and a definite caveat emptor!

3. The fitment of a receiver sight which required carving out an accommodating stock recess in mounting. An ‘iffy’ hit. Such as the Lyman Model 48 sight a very nice package offered by the factory, but other than early postwar guns, a “third model” of the Lyman 48 sight not requiring such a divot. The presumption that a divot on rifles such as after 1950 production equals a non original Lyman and somewhat of a hit. Purist will reject such a rifle. Shooters may well be happy just to have the rifle/Lyman combo.

4. Lightweight model bottom metal. The Lightweight introduced in 1952 and with aluminum alloy bottom metal. Susceptible to scratching and when so, though technically original, a disproportional condition hit. A quality Lightweight, caution about fielding!

A prejudicial net, net view by a Win 70 enthusiast. A fine ‘old school’ rifle retaining the combo of largely current up to date consumer features in the classic styling department such as real wood and blued steel. Reiterating the Standard model, as most frequently encountered, somewhat heavy, such a cost of real wood and (excepting the Lightweight) all real steel.

For an all original Standard model '52 vintage in 90+ percent condition, likely $1,000 to $1,200 with an easy plus or minus of $200 depending on details and higher condition. Shooter grade, all metal original, no weird stock alterations, maybe $600 to $800 in 85+ condition. But really wild figures.
Final net, net observations. These rifles are often subject to mix-match stocks. Properly done, a no-foul. Such since there’s no way to distinguish. Thus one with great metal but a recoil pad, may gain a restock with an all original model. Too many quite decent shooter grade 70 rifles under efforts to purvey as collector grade and too many collector grade ones overpriced. The internet potentially a best place to shop for 70 merchandise numbers and selection. Almost surely the worst for buyer pricing. That and the lack of ‘hands-on pre-purchase examination. Yet now getting too far afield.

Last caveat. 1. ALL OF THE ABOVE DISCUSSION LIMITED TO THE PRE 64 WINCHESTER MODEL 70, POST WWII THIRD MODEL STANDARD/LIGHTWEIGHT RIFLES IN 30-06 OR 270. WIN. 2. HERE A VERY SUPERFICIAL AND GENERALIZED DISCUSSION, NOT INTENDED AS AN IN DEPTH OR COMPREHENSIVE DISCUSSION.

That said…
My take.
Just returning momentarily with the addendum to answer your question. The context of postwar 30-06 chambering the '52 model should have an integral forged barrel front sight base. That adding a few clicks to value and such a vary good vintage opposed to later production. That and GOOD LUCK!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:30 pm
Thanks A lot! That really helped :) I will be checking around for better prices probably. The gun is in good shape and is still 100% original. No holes in the receiver and still the original metal butt pad. But still $1100 Is kind of steep. My grandpa has a pre-64 M70 too and I may try to buy that one for a better price. Anyway Thanks a lot that was very helpful! :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:45 pm
Glad to hear it helped! Easy to generalize about a gun, an elephant or widget. But putting a value on anything not carefully inspected, very hit & miss.
Again good luck with your continued quest. Please consider returning with info when you have a 70 in hand.
Best!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:56 am
I've done a little more research and it looks like the rifle I was looking at should be worth about
$900. I'm gonna look at it again tomorrow and see if I can bargain it down. We will see how it goes! I will definately try to post some pics if I buy it :)

PS: My grandpa doesn't want to sell his at the moment. He said maybe sometime in the future.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:01 pm
Thanks for the great help iskra....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:26 am
SHOOTER13 wrote:Thanks for the great help iskra....

De Nada! Glad to (hopefully) help! Hope the 'right' Win comes home with AKYetiMan! ;)

Return to Winchester Model 70