Model 70-222 REM

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:28 pm
Does anyone have knowledge of the model 70-222 REM??? Serialed G1340205??? Looks like it was built in 1978 by looking up the serial number.

I inherited this rifle and know absolutely nothing about a model 70 as my knowledge of firearms is not extensive and limited to mainly Glock and Colt AR's.

Anyone know if it requires a mag to load or some type of clip????

Thanks
Tim
Last edited by tim414 on Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:17 am
Post some pics of her when ya get a chance, we all love to see photos of Winchester's! I am not well versed in the Model 70's but I believe they have a hinged floorplate that has a magazine follower with a flat spring attached to the floorplate. You open the bolt and insert the rounds one at a time into the top of the receiver area. To unload push the button on the floorplate and all the rounds will fall out of the bottom of the receiver minus the one in the chamber if there is one. I believe this is correct but they may utilize a box magazine in some case. I am no expert on the Model 70 but someone will chime in that knows this model well.
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:04 pm
ColdWarGrunt wrote:Post some pics of her when ya get a chance, we all love to see photos of Winchester's! I am not well versed in the Model 70's but I believe they have a hinged floorplate that has a magazine follower with a flat spring attached to the floorplate. You open the bolt and insert the rounds one at a time into the top of the receiver area. To unload push the button on the floorplate and all the rounds will fall out of the bottom of the receiver minus the one in the chamber if there is one. I believe this is correct but they may utilize a box magazine in some case. I am no expert on the Model 70 but someone will chime in that knows this model well.

Thanks for your reply.

I will work on getting pics up before the day is out. This rifle is PRISTINE. It absolutely looks a solid 98-99%. The bluing, walnut stock are perfect. There is one speck on the trigger guard where paint chipped, but you have to be looking to notice it.

It has ghost sights and Weaver mount on board along with a Tasco 4.32 scope that seems to cowitness the ghost up front. It absolutely looks like it came out of the box a month ago. It was in my fathers safe with his others and slip cover over it.

There were only three rifles/shotguns that had slip covers on them and this was one of them. I actually always "thought" it was a .223. But, NO, it's a .222, and I cannot reference it. There is only ONE for sale on Gunbroker. So, it seems as it's not as common the other model 70 calibers for sure.

I've never seen a .222 round come to think of it. Makes me wonder if it's same as .223??

It's serial number does come up on the site that gives build dates though. I wish I could reference it on this site. I suppose I need to study up on the .222 round.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:08 pm
My Grandfather had only one Remington that I know of and it was in a .222 caliber. They came out i think sometime around 1950. Search on your favorite search engine will bring up a wealth of info on it. Not same as the .223 and although it was a popular round at the time the .223 prevailed. I don't even know of any major manufactures offering a .222 firearm nowadays but I don't stay in the loop on the newer stuff either.
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

Location: The shoreline of Lake Erie before the Great Black Swamp was drained
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:06 am
I am a huge fan of the 222. It was benchrest King in its day, then the 6mms took over and the military adopted the 223 ending the 222 hayday
I had a like new model 70 in 222 and traded it on the same in 225. Now I own two 70s in225
I am one gun away from Happy
20g
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:44 am
Excellent show-and-tell with nice backstory. Two beautiful metal and wood. Thanks Hairtrigger.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:34 am
Sorry guys for falling off the radar.

I'll get pics up tonite.

Add: I have read up on the .222 or "triple duece" round. It is/was foundation for many other calibers including 22-250, .223, 243, .270, 5.56 NATO, 7.62 etc.

The NATO round is simply a legthened case, .222 round. It's a highly accurate round as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:50 am
tim414 wrote:Sorry guys for falling off the radar.

I'll get pics up tonite.

Add: I have read up on the .222 or "triple duece" round. It is/was foundation for many other calibers including 22-250, .223, 243, .270, 5.56 NATO, 7.62 etc.

The NATO round is simply a legthened case, .222 round. It's a highly accurate round as well.

Don't forget the great 221 Fireball
My NRA magazine this month has a good 222 article

.22LR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:23 am
Pics of my Winchester model 70-222 REM.....it has a TASCO Opti-Center with Ghost site up front.
My father also had ammo stored and I found it's ammo. I have not shot it yet. I worry about the ammo. It looks fine. But, I have NOT found any other of these rifles in .222 or "trip-duece" anywhere except one. There are some in Remington model 700, but I only could find one of these for sale.
20g
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:20 pm
Only beautiful. Looks NIB.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

.22LR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:21 pm
ColdWarGrunt wrote:My Grandfather had only one Remington that I know of and it was in a .222 caliber. They came out i think sometime around 1950. Search on your favorite search engine will bring up a wealth of info on it. Not same as the .223 and although it was a popular round at the time the .223 prevailed. I don't even know of any major manufactures offering a .222 firearm nowadays but I don't stay in the loop on the newer stuff either.

They are no longer chambered in trip-duece in North America; however, they can still be found in countries where it's illegal to own police or military caliber rounds......

The .222 round gave birth to a host of today's popular rounds including; 22-250, 5.56NATO, .223, .243, .270, 7.62NATO all came from the trip duece round (.222), which was designed in 1950 by a guy named Walker who also designed the Remington 700.

The .222 round still holds records for it's accuracy. It's one of the most accurate small caliber rounds ever produced in North American firearms industry/production.

The US Army adopted it by lengthing the case and producing the 5.56 NATO (.223) round as well as 7.62 (.308) NATO.

.22LR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:38 pm
redryder wrote:Only beautiful. Looks NIB.

Thanks. I don't know whether I should hold on to it or sell it. I usually stick to Colt AR's and Glocks with a few Mossberg's mixed in.

I also inherited his SS S&W 44mag, his (2) Browning O/U shot guns (he liked to skeet shoot), another Winchester 30.06, couple old Colt pistols (non-1911) and another 12ga which I had to research. I did not know Japanese made 12ga shotguns. They did until late 70's; a "auto pointer". Well made too. He loved shooting that thing.

Since I like my AR's and Glocks, that's really all I know. I may sell this one. Have not decided yet.
20g
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:54 pm
Be careful as to what you sell. Seller remorse is no fun. Twenty-years post sale and I'm still self-kicking on 2 guns I sold.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:06 pm
Very beautiful! Nice to see a well preserved Winchester! They can keep all their black guns and AR platforms, I'll take steel and wood any day! Oh and levers, if not levers then bolts! :lol:

Sell it???!!! Hell no don't sell it! But if ya do I'm sure someone will snatch her up and you will regret it soon enough in a little while.
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:34 am
Ok......convinced me, I'm keeping it. Pop had (3) of his long guns in slip covers. This was one of them. The other two were the Browning's. One of his Browning's goes back to the late 50's. He bought it new before he married my mother. It STILL looks new (well, it has a tiny scratch "I" caused when I transferred it to my safe).

Pops safe is a old Wells Fargo bank safe and it does not seal well. So, all the guns of his that need preserved, I moved to my safe.

I do not know sqaut about bolt action rifles. My second gun I ever owned, (still have it) is a lever action 30.30. I have not shot that thing since the 1980's. I also have all my Grandfathers firearms. My safe is almost full now. I need to thin out some long guns. I had a new safe built last year. It's not little either. I cannot believe it near full now.

The best thing about pops and granddads guns....NONE are registered. All of them were made before this gun registering crap started.

And if that women rigs the election, she will try to get our guns. Over my cold dead hands......

When I was in the service, I fell for Glock and AR. I also like Colt 1911's too. I cut my teeth on those old .45's and M16's in the service.That's why I like them so well. I carried them for over a decade.

I know bolt action are well known for accuracy. But, I still like my carbines/rifles to go bang when I pull the trigger LOL.

I suppose I can thin out the ammo and get a ammo locker. (I keep reserve ammo in my safe). So, I can move that out and make a lot more room..

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:50 am
ColdWarGrunt wrote:Very beautiful! Nice to see a well preserved Winchester! They can keep all their black guns and AR platforms, I'll take steel and wood any day! .

BTW, their NOT all black......some are combo black/gray while my Daniel Defense is all gray and several of my Glocks are gray framed.
20g
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:18 pm
Well Tim, forget about safe size. You will probably never exceed the need for gun room in a safe. Mine is too small. Have some guns in a gun cabinet my wife gave me about twenty-five years past.

Thank you for your service. Glad you survived.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:19 am
I recently had a new safe built. Where I spent the extra money was in size and steel (besides LED lighting).

6ft tallx 4ft 2in wide and 2ft 4in deep (so I can get it through a standard home doorway) is foot print. I'm definitely proud of it. I has capacity to store many guns/pistols. I have a AR mount inside door with pistol pegs for pistol door storage. When I had it done, I had them bust back shelving to utililize door storage. A lot of pistols/mag can hang on the door; surprising how much shelf space it can save.

They sell those ammo lockers. I'm gonna get one. My dad also reloaded and I have his equipment and will get some of my own as soon as I learn what I need.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:19 am
Very nice rifle. I bet it shoots as good as it looks
Thank you for posting pics

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:04 pm
I hope the rifle is still yours! .222Remington was a great rifle and I am sure Winchester Model 70 in that caliber is worth a lot! Sounds like your Dad was really into this! The post is old. Hopefully there is still,interest in this. I have a 1962 Remington 700 in .222 and it is an incredibly accurate rifle. ADL Model But with a beauty for Walnut stock. It also has a steel butt plate. Holds its zero for an incredibly long time. Always under MOA to say the very least!
20g
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:31 am
Good to see some interaction coming forth. I was locked out for months. Don't know why. Came back to an almost dead forum.

To all those that came on site while I was away...WELCOME!
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Return to Winchester Model 70