Dating Model 70

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:27 pm
Hello,

I'm having some difficulty exactly dating my model 70. My serial is 509XX. I can't remember the last two digits.

But anyways, when I look at proofhouse.com, it shows that 1942 started at the 50,754 serial range. So that would make this probably a January or Feb 1942 Receiver at the latest.

When I check oldguns.net, it shows this as being a 1946 serial, which I'm pretty sure that is totally wrong. And then I did order a copy of Roger Rule's book just because I'm still learning on the model 70, and I think a friend when he looked it up in there, said it was late 1942. Like around August 1942 or something like that.

Does anyone know what is correct? I'm really trying to get a rough idea what month this was made.
The Barrel has been swapped, and is a 50's dated target barrel. So that isn't really much help.

I do know the WWII dates are sort of funny from my limited research. But who has the most accurate data? Or does someone havea more accurate one they could tell me more about my serial (50,9XX).

Thanks gentlemen in advance!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:19 am
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Enjoy our community...
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:06 pm
I seen you had inquired on the WACA Forum about this Model 70 as well. I'd say if anyone is on the money it is Bert dating it to August/September of 1942.
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member
20g
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:42 pm
Added WACA to my places to visit. I don't collect Winchesters. However, I'm always in the market of learning.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Return to Winchester Model 70